Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Bring back Dx12
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Vulkan is useless.
If someone is willing to maintain it, then maybe.

Until then, no.
Could you explain why i get 2 fps when playing Metroid Prime while it's 100 % perfct with Directx 12 backend ?
If you have a problem, you should report it, not complain about the backend. That said, Vulkan does seem to suffer some bugs, and some of them I'm not sure if are Dolphin's or Vulkan's.
Could you state your computer specifications, Dolphin version tested and settings so we can try to help you?
(05-26-2017, 12:59 AM)Paul12 Wrote: [ -> ]Vulkan is useless.

Download the last version that contained the DX12 backend, and just use that. That's what I did. It works well. You don't have to upgrade to a newer version unless you run into an issue that has only been addressed in a newer release. 
forget about it istay with Dx12 thanks very much anyway.
No problem
(05-26-2017, 01:05 AM)Fog Wrote: [ -> ]If someone is willing to maintain it, then maybe.

Until then, no.

^ This.

I honestly couldn't care less about dropping D3D12, it had a lot of maintainability problems due to the way it was written and would make migrating to VS2017 a real pain in the ass due to potential stupid issues with the Win10 SDK. Heck, if Microsoft chooses to update the Win10 SDK with VS2017, then we can't migrate at all because every time Microsoft updates the SDK, it would break building on Windows until we retarget. And I can't think of any devs that would be happy about that.

Part of OSS dev is making sure code is easy to maintain going forward. D3D12 was a hindrance to that. If somebody wants to rewrite the D3D12 backend to make it easier to maintain, as well as having a well thought out plan on how to keep it maintained, we will absolutely be open to taking it back in again.

"Vulkan is useless" is a bad reason and if "d3d12 was fast" is your only reason for proposing this, then you should probably save your effort because many won't care.

Also, D3D11 and OpenGL are still very valid backends that work fine
(05-26-2017, 01:05 AM)Fog Wrote: [ -> ]If someone is willing to maintain it, then maybe.

^ is not all. I'm fine with a not well maintained backend. But I'm not fine with a very recent added backend which is full of bugs and race conditions and nobody is willing to get it to a fully working state. So let's talk about maintance once it is finished - but there was no progress on getting it done for a year...
(05-26-2017, 06:27 PM)degasus Wrote: [ -> ]^ is not all. I'm fine with a not well maintained backend. But I'm not fine with a very recent added backend which is full of bugs and race conditions and nobody is willing to get it to a fully working state. So let's talk about maintance once it is finished - but there was no progress on getting it done for a year...

I think the developers have a very different impression of that backend vs. the users. I used DX12 for everything because for the set of games I was running, DX12 provided the best performance and stability. I can't say with any kind of confidence that it was the fastest or most stable backend for all games, because there are thousands of them and I've only run 20-30 of them in Dolphin. But the ones I used are some of the most popular, and DX12 was the best for them. Dropping that backend may be a relief for the developers, but it's a big disappointment for many users.
Pages: 1 2