Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Does it help to Relocate Shader-Cache to an RAM-Drive
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

QuiGonElwood

Hello,

pretty much what I asked.

Nvidia stores shadercache @C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\Temp\NVIDIA Corporation\NV_Cache\

Would it help to relocate it to a faster drive, or even a RAM-Drive ? I Know it's basicly the process of creation and running wich causes stutter, but would it help to minimize Read and Writetimes?

Trying to make Rogue Squadron II and III run faster....And cant really tell if I do anything or the Shaders just get build up.-

thanks

QuiGon

EDIT:
Noticed Dolphin actualy saves in Documents\Dolphin Emulator

Question still stands.

I am using "Dir-Linker" to try it
You can try, but honestly you're going to have a hard time removing the stutters from those 2 games. There just notorious for having the stutters even on more powerful computers
The stutter happens when shaders haven't been cached period, and need to compile. Once they're compiled and cached, you aren't going to get any sort of speed increase by caching it to a RAM disk.

In fact, I think we might load all cached shaders for a game into memory on boot anyways? Too lazy to check.

QuiGonElwood

Okay so a almost solid NO.

I have no idea what the time scales are. But I know my gaming PC only has a terribly slow WDBlue for a drive, and I cant increase the clock speed of my Xeon (by much)

Cached and with 5.0-3534 running HLE and some underlock it is almost okay. I'll have to PM those YT-Wizards how they got it running so smooth...
A youtuber probably either

A: Records an input recording and then uses the built in frame dumper to get video.
B: Plays it through to build up cache then plays it again.