Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: 64bit os core 2 quad cpu issue
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
hello,

I have a little issue. When the movie of twilight princess starts, it's using all my cores at around 80% and it's between 95-100% i.e. perfect

when i start the game the cpu in task manager drops. and when i go to a large area it drops further. all 4 cores are running at 30% speed and is unbearable even with frameskip on.

now, i know it's a dual core emu so i don't get why it's using all four cores. never mind. the real issue is why each core is running at 30% instead of max. do i need a better graphics card?

on a single core machine. 64mb vram the cpu is at 100% so i can understand that. this is 256vram and a quad core at 2.3
Unlock the option that says : Lock threads to core , or something like that !
You need a half way decent graphics card that can render the frames fast enough.
Why would you ask if the problem is Graphics oriented without specifying your unit?
abfab126, i'm having a little problem with opengl. i have the extension missing error which is everywhere. so i'm using direct3d 9

extreme64, i have a 256 and i'm upgrading to 1gb hopefully so we'll see how that goes.

diddy kong, you don't need to know the unit. it just gives people the invitation to say upgrade if it's old and upgrade if it's new too. i have plenty of experience giving unit info and people saying upgrade, and there always is something else.

i mentioned its an 64 bit os and inte core 2 quad. that's plenty of info to determine if it's the graphics or not. that's why i didn't specify my unit. :-) i know intel graphics is rubbish that's why i'm upgrading to a real card but i just wanted to know if it would give significant results

i'm pretty sure it is graphics. regardless i'm upgrading anyway.

thanks everyone for your help

my unit info is
core 2 quad q8xxx 2.3ghz
intel graphics soon to be upgraded 256mb vram hd series
3gb ram
If you could somehow manage Overclock your cpu a bit and get a new gpu, you're set.
overclocking might help but it's only using 30% on each core in extreme levels so i think i should consider the graphics upgrade and then see where to go from there.

i'm planning on getting the ati hd 4650 1gb vram. is that a good choice?
Its ok. Just so you know, 1gb isn't necessarily "better".
If its high priced, forget it. Get a 512mb. Not all your video Ram will be used anyhow.
Unless you plan on running games like Gta, I highly doubt you'll need it.
I wouldn't go for that card, save up and aim a little higher so you won't need to upgrade for a while.
(10-31-2009, 07:50 AM)daaceking Wrote: [ -> ]abfab126, i'm having a little problem with opengl. i have the extension missing error which is everywhere. so i'm using direct3d 9

extreme64, i have a 256 and i'm upgrading to 1gb hopefully so we'll see how that goes.

diddy kong, you don't need to know the unit. it just gives people the invitation to say upgrade if it's old and upgrade if it's new too. i have plenty of experience giving unit info and people saying upgrade, and there always is something else.

i mentioned its an 64 bit os and inte core 2 quad. that's plenty of info to determine if it's the graphics or not. that's why i didn't specify my unit. :-) i know intel graphics is rubbish that's why i'm upgrading to a real card but i just wanted to know if it would give significant results

i'm pretty sure it is graphics. regardless i'm upgrading anyway.

thanks everyone for your help

my unit info is
core 2 quad q8xxx 2.3ghz
intel graphics soon to be upgraded 256mb vram hd series
3gb ram

Intel onbaord graphics cards don't properly support opengl 2.1, thats where your problem comes in
i am planning on playing gta iv. emulations is just an extra. we have a long way to go in terms of emu of the previous geen, never mind this gen.
Pages: 1 2