Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: How to record Dolphin with OBS-Studio (OpenGL)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi you guys,

so I made some tests with OBS Studio, recording two games on Dolphin (Super Mario Galaxy 2 / Super Paper Mario)

The results are pretty disappointing for the following reasons:

Because I'm using a Nvidia graphics card (GTX 1060) OpenGl and Vulkan run slightly better than Direct3D 11, sadly.
Direct3D 11 can be recorded very well with OBS-Studio but it's just slow with SMG2/SPM.

So I had to switch to either OpenGL or Vulkan. I did some fast tests with Vulkan and it seems to run even smoother than OpenGL. But I can't use Vulkan because OBS-Studio doesn't support it, yet ..

Now the problem with OpenGL:

To record OpenGL with OBS-Studio I have to use Game Capture. If I use Window Capture I won't get any signal, just a white frame. When Dolphin still runs windowed and I hit the streaming button, Mario Galaxy 2 runs at its normal speed (60fps). But when I switch to fullscreen mode (while OBS-Studio is rendering) I get a massive frame-drop. However, when I press the windows button on my keyboard (while being in fullscreen mode) to show up the taskbar, the framerate recovers.

Super Paper Mario runs ok with OpenGl in fullscreen mode but opening doors causes a massive frame-drop as well.

I also noticed that if I change into fullscreen mode with OpenGL the whole emulation stops for a very short moment, while Direct3D 11 changes to fullscreen mode without any stuttering.

I know it's all kinda complicated. If you want I could make a video of the issue.

Please somebody help Sad
Why you don´t use ShadowPlay instead?
GTX 580 isn't compatible with Shadowplay.

Besides, from what I've been told the quality isn't particularly good on anything pre-maxwell. Colors get crushed to hell

whoops
@Helios: slax65 hasn't updated their profile, as their post says they have a GTX 1060
Sorry for not updating my profile. Got the GTX 1060 like two days ago.

Shadowplay would be an option but it has poor image quality and I would need to use like 4000 kbit/s to get 720p60 at a decent quality. Many people with poor internet connection wouldn't be able to watch.

I actually tested with V-Synch. It seems with Dolphin's V-Synch activated there isn't any greater speed-drop when I changed to full-screen mode but I get horrible tearing and stuttering.

OpenGL is so annoying ..
Dolphin and OBS doesn't play nice.

Do the following.

In Dolphin

Graphics > Advanced > Check Borderless Fullscreen

In OBS

Add Source > Monitor Capture

That's the best you can do, really
Thanks I will continue testing