Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Best Dolphin Settings?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi Everyone,

I recently downloaded Dolphin 5.0 (Latest Nightly Build) in order to play Skyward Sword in HD before Breath of the Wild comes out.

Unfortunately, I'm getting sporadic lag spikes along with audio crackle/static (During Cinematics, Cutscenes, Title Screens, New Areas etc.) I've tried everything to fix this but I'm just completely baffled as to why the top of the line ultra powerful Gaming Rig I built myself is having problems with Dolphin. (I've tried Ishiiruka, and while it had no problems with Lag Spikes and Performed better then Dolphin it had constant audio static/crackle which I couldn't fix/stand)

I've tried IR set to 1080p, 2K, 4K, and 5K, mixed with various SSAA levels (But unfortunately SSAA seems to tank my performance while IR does not) I also always set Anisotropic Filtering to 16, and enable Scaled EFB Copy, Per-Pixel Lighting, Force Texture Filtering, and Force 24-bit Color. (Does Dolphin do Exclusive Fullscreen anymore because it seems to just do Borderless Fullscreen now.)

Here are my Specs:
  • Windows 10 64-bit
  • Intel i7-6700K 4.00 GHz
  • G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB DDR4 3000
  • EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti Superclocked w/ACX Cooler 6GB
  • BenQ XL2420G 144hz Monitor
  • EVGA 850 GQ 80+ GOLD, 850W
  • Gigabyte GA-Z170N-Gaming 5 Mini-ITX Motherboard
  • Corsair Hydro Series Cooling H75 Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
  • Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD USB Audio System with Phono Preamp
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD - For Main System
  • 3 WD Black 6TB Performance Desktop Hard Drives - For Storage
So based off of my Specs what would the Optimal settings for Dolphin be? (For Quality) Please be as specific as possible. Thanks!
For best quality? SSAA! But since that's a bit much for your compie, just set the internal resolution to your screen resolution and add on some anti-aliasing of your choice.
(02-09-2017, 01:34 PM)MayImilae Wrote: [ -> ]For best quality? SSAA! But since that's a bit much for your compie, just set the internal resolution to your screen resolution and add on some anti-aliasing of your choice.

Ah, Okay. How would I go about adding on Anti-Aliasing? Through Nvidia Control Panel? 

Man... I'm so mad at the fact that my Computer can't run Dolphin with SSAA at Max FPS (I mean it's a top of the line i7 Skylake). Is this usual for Dolphin? What settings do you use? Would Overclocking my i7 help? 

Sorry if I'm asking too many questions. Dolphin has just changed a lot since I last used it. 
Dolphin has antialiasing settings in it (graphics > enhancements tab), but you could also set them globally through the nvidia control panel and it will work in Dolphin.

Edit: Your 980Ti should handle SSAA fine... What did you set the internal resolution to?
I set the settings that I used to use for 4.0 which worked on my old computer Flawlessly (Internal Resolution to 6x Native, and Anti Aliasing to 8x) I tried SSAA and MSAA and both tanked my FPS SSAA more then MSAA though. Then I noticed that with Skyward Sword I was getting Ghosting on any IR higher then 3x so I've stayed at that quality, and tried to use 8x SSAA but still Lag, and FPS drops along with Audio Static. I have no Idea what's going wrong as my Computer runs anything at 60fps and higher but it's struggling with Dolphin when It never used to in the past.
(02-09-2017, 05:28 PM)CommandBen Wrote: [ -> ]I set the settings that I used to use for 4.0 which worked on my old computer Flawlessly (Internal Resolution to 6x Native, and Anti Aliasing to 8x) I tried SSAA and MSAA and both tanked my FPS SSAA more then MSAA though. Then I noticed that with Skyward Sword I was getting Ghosting on any IR higher then 3x so I've stayed at that quality, and tried to use 8x SSAA but still Lag, and FPS drops along with Audio Static. I have no Idea what's going wrong as my Computer runs anything at 60fps and higher but it's struggling with Dolphin when It never used to in the past.

i would make sure dolphin is set to prefer maximum performance in the nvidia control panel. ALthough, 6xir and 8x ssaa may be too much for your gpu depending on the game, even for a 980ti. i would suggest lowering one of these settings
What is your display's resolution?
(02-09-2017, 05:40 PM)Dark tornado Wrote: [ -> ]i would make sure dolphin is set to prefer maximum performance in the nvidia control panel. ALthough, 6xir and 8x ssaa may be too much for your gpu depending on the game, even for a 980ti. i would suggest lowering one of these settings

Hi,

Even at 3x IR with 2x SSAA I'm getting Lag spikes and fps drops galore. 

I double checked all my settings. Deleted Dolphin and the Dolphin Emulator folder in My Documents. I then downloaded the latest Nightly Build and tried Skyward Sword with those settings again and still the same result. (I also checked my Nvidia Control Panel Settings) I'm attaching screenshots of my current Dolphin Settings and of my Nvidia Control Panel.  
(02-09-2017, 05:53 PM)MayImilae Wrote: [ -> ]What is your display's resolution?

My display's resolution is 1920x1080p
(02-09-2017, 06:02 PM)CommandBen Wrote: [ -> ]My display's resolution is 1920x1080p

only other thing i can think of is to check your cpu temps while running dolphin to make sure youre not throttling.
Pages: 1 2 3