Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Netplay Saving Wii Games
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey guys! I was wondering if anyone knows how to save games in netplay. I've tried fresh installs on both PCs and have checked the "Write to memory cards/SD" on the server. Any ideas? Thanks.
In current versions of Dolphin, it's not possible to do that with Wii games.
(02-01-2017, 07:30 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]In current versions of Dolphin, it's not possible to do that with Wii games.

There has to be a way. Maybe when everyone leaves there is a way to make the game go off of netplay and act as a regular emulation and then save it from there? What's the point of supporting Wii games if they can't be saved? Do you know if this is on a to-do list for the devs? Thanks.
(02-02-2017, 06:37 AM)CraftKing7777 Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe when everyone leaves there is a way to make the game go off of netplay and act as a regular emulation and then save it from there?

Well... Maybe you can poke around inside the temp NAND and manually copy the save files from it before you shut down the emulation. But I'm not sure where it is. I haven't checked if this theory is right.

(02-02-2017, 06:37 AM)CraftKing7777 Wrote: [ -> ]What's the point of supporting Wii games if they can't be saved?

First of all, Wii support for netplay has to happen in steps. Fixing everything at once is too big of a task. For instance, Wii Remotes used to be completely broken, but they got fixed a while ago. Saving will likely be improved in the future.

Second, players of certain games (mainly Smash) don't care about saving, so Wii netplay has been useful for some people even in its early states.

(02-02-2017, 06:37 AM)CraftKing7777 Wrote: [ -> ]Do you know if this is on a to-do list for the devs? Thanks.

Yes.
(02-02-2017, 06:45 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]Well... Maybe you can poke around inside the temp NAND and manually copy the save files from it before you shut down the emulation. But I'm not sure where it is. I haven't checked if this theory is right.

First of all, Wii support for netplay has to happen in steps. Fixing everything at once is too big of a task. For instance, Wii Remotes used to be completely broken, but they got fixed a while ago. Saving will likely be improved in the future.

Second, players of certain games (mainly Smash) don't care about saving, so Wii netplay has been useful for some people even in its early states.

Yes.

Sorry for all the questions. I was wondering if I could do it with this: https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-ne...ild?page=6  Does this still work?
Yes. But it's very very unstable.

Don't expect it to work well. And don't report issues while using it to us. We won't care
(02-02-2017, 06:57 AM)CraftKing7777 Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry for all the questions. I was wondering if I could do it with this: https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-ne...ild?page=6  Does this still work?

If you do the hack in the way I described in the thread, you can probably get it to work. (But desyncs will be more likely!) On the other hand, the build that's available for download in that topic does something strange that I don't recommend.
(02-02-2017, 07:08 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]If you do the hack in the way I described in the thread, you can probably get it to work. (But desyncs will be more likely!) On the other hand, the build that's available for download in that topic does something strange that I don't recommend.

Hmm. Well this is what I tried with copying the NANDS. After launching Newer Super Mario Bros through netplay and playing one level and then saving, I went into Documents/Dolphin Emulator and copied the Wii folder. Then I stopped the emulation. I replaced the Wii folder that was there with the one I copied and clicked start on the server. No luck, still no saving. I kept the netplay server open the whole time while doing this btw. Any other ideas?
(02-02-2017, 07:16 AM)CraftKing7777 Wrote: [ -> ]Hmm. Well this is what I tried with copying the NANDS. After launching Newer Super Mario Bros through netplay and playing one level and then saving, I went into Documents/Dolphin Emulator and copied the Wii folder. Then I stopped the emulation.

The temporary NAND that netplay uses isn't in Documents/Dolphin Emulator/, it's somewhere else.

(02-02-2017, 07:16 AM)CraftKing7777 Wrote: [ -> ]I replaced the Wii folder that was there with the one I copied and clicked start on the server. No luck, still no saving.

You run into a separate problem here. Loading Wii saves is impossible on netplay.
I have played through New Super Mario Bros using the custom build referred to in that netplay saves topic, although that build does have some issues addressed there.
https://dl.dolphin-emu.org/prs/pr-4546-d...est-x64.7z
This build can likely play through New Super Mario Bros using saves online, but I haven't tested it with that particular game.
Finally, it's not as good as using saves, but you could use a Gecko code to warp to the level you were at.

Level Roller [Bully@Wiiplaza]
C2902A2C 00000006
809F022C 3D80803A
A18C1ACE 718C0400
41820018 38840001
2C04000D 40810008
38800000 909F022C
60000000 00000000
*Press B to roll through ALL levels on the map*
*You can now play the current level on the top left icon*
*ANY Level is playable, even mushroom houses that are not there anymore or levels that are not unlocked/discovered*

This older build can also use saves online, although it will only work for 2 players if you are using Wii remotes and doesn't work for New Super Mario Bros and some other games. http://dl.dolphin-emu.org/builds/dolphin...502-x64.7z
Pages: 1 2