Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Wii Sensor Bar on PC?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

HashBrownJM

So, I'm looking at Dolphin - been years since I've used it - but as I dig through my old hardware, do I need a sensor bar for a Wii Remote + Nunchuck to work with the PC?

I have a Bluetooth adapter, so that's not an issue, just making sure I have everything I need. Since I won't be hooking up the sensor bar to a Wii, I'd have to find another way to power it, if it's even needed. I assume yes, since it needs to ping light off of the controller or something?

Thanks.
The sensor bar is just two sources of IR light a known distance apart, which the Wiimote can compare the position and direction of with an IR camera in its tip. You could power the Wii one somehow, buy one which was made to run off USB, make your own with some LEDs, resistors and a power source, or improvise with any other IR light source. Two candles, or two TV remotes with a button pressed down are common options. You have a lot of choice.
(01-19-2017, 10:13 AM)HashBrownJM Wrote: [ -> ]do I need a sensor bar for a Wii Remote + Nunchuck to work with the PC?

It's necessary for making the pointer functionality work, so unless you know that you only will be playing games that never use the pointer, you need a sensor bar.
Or, as I learned in a recent thread, two candles will also do the trick. Or anything else that produces infrared light.