Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: FPS Stays at 60, but game stutters every so often
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Specs:
CPU: Intel i5 4670k at 3.4GHz
GPU: Nvidia GTX1060 6GB
RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury 1866MHz
Storage: ISO on SSD, Dolphin on HDD.
Dolphin version: 5.0 x64

Tried various settings, tried with Vsync, without Vsync, OpenGL, D3D11, fullscreen, not fullscreen etc.

The game runs fine at 60fps, but will, at random intervals, stutter. I've run the game more than 10 times and also tried disabling Shader Cache in Nvidia's Control Panel. So I'm doubtful it's the issue of shader caching causing the stuttering.

Anyone got any ideas of what else I can try to iron this out? dropping to lower framerates is fine by me as mostly what I'm playing is the rhythm games not available on PC so the stuttering hurts a lot.

EDIT: Just tried to use the latest dev release with Vulkan and it BSOD'd my machine. This appears to have wiped all my settings apart from controller settings and now whenever I launch a game with 5.0 it constantly disconnects my controller (WiiMote 1 disconnected by emulated software), deleting the settings files fixed this.
(01-17-2017, 04:34 AM)Kritya Wrote: [ -> ]and also tried disabling Shader Cache in Nvidia's Control Panel. So I'm doubtful it's the issue of shader caching causing the stuttering.

Shader compilation causes stuttering, not shader caching. In fact, shader caching helps reduce stuttering. (I guess that you turning it off in Nvidia's Control Panel isn't the reason for your stuttering, though.)
(01-17-2017, 04:39 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]Shader compilation causes stuttering, not shader caching. In fact, shader caching helps reduce stuttering. (I guess that you turning it off in Nvidia's Control Panel isn't the reason for your stuttering, though.)

Nope, it was an attempt to see if it was the issue, which it turned out to not be. 
Also going to add that the game I'm playing is Guitar Hero Warriors of Rock, forgot to mention that in the post.
Oh, a modern Guitar Hero game... There seems to be something special and weird with stuttering in them. I'm not sure if anyone knows what.
(01-17-2017, 06:57 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]Oh, a modern Guitar Hero game... There seems to be something special and weird with stuttering in them. I'm not sure if anyone knows what.
Tested both NTSC and PAL, both get stuttering.
(01-17-2017, 06:57 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]Oh, a modern Guitar Hero game... There seems to be something special and weird with stuttering in them. I'm not sure if anyone knows what.

Well I can now help narrow it down, unplugged my ethernet cable and the stuttering stopped, plugged it back in and instantly stuttered twice while writing this. Appears to be something network based. Any way to disable the emulator's wifi completely?
(01-17-2017, 07:39 AM)Kritya Wrote: [ -> ]Well I can now help narrow it down, unplugged my ethernet cable and the stuttering stopped, plugged it back in and instantly stuttered twice while writing this. Appears to be something network based. Any way to disable the emulator's wifi completely?

I don't think we have an option for that, unfortunately. Unless... I wonder if it'll work if you enable input recording in the Movie menu? Your save files won't work then, though.

I'll look into adding an option for Wii internet connectivity.
(01-17-2017, 07:53 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think we have an option for that, unfortunately. Unless... I wonder if it'll work if you enable input recording in the Movie menu? Your save files won't work then, though.

I'll look into adding an option for Wii internet connectivity.

Blocking it via windows firewall seems to have achieved the same result, so my guess would be the game attempting to reconnect to the wifi service due to there being an active connection, it always attempts to connect when it's launched, wouldn't surprise me if it kept trying should there be an active connection.

When you say "modern" which ones are you referring to? I can test the others with and without firewall block to see if it's the same issue for all of them.
Pages: 1 2