Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: When will Windows 7 compatible builds stop being released?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I just tried Windows 10 on my main desktop rig for the first time. I was used to ti a little from helping my buddies out with disabling Superfetch (something everyone should do) among other things, but when I installed it on my own computer i freaking HATED IT. I will never ever install windows 10 on any machine of mine as long as I live. Windows 8 may be an option because it still has custom theme support without third party applications like SiB++. I just reinstalled 7 and am in the process of updating it. I exported all of my installer registry entries and ProgramData folder before the reinstall (w10 was an upgrade install) so I didn't have to reinstall 600+GB of things. Unfortunately, Windows 7 is my favourite OS and it will reach the EOS in 2020.

When will Dolphin officially stop supporting Windows 7?
I don't think it's possible to provide any estimate for that at this point. There are no plans for it right now. It's obviously going to happen at some point in time (like with every operating system), but I don't know if that will be soon or after many years.
Eh, I find Windows 10 to be pretty awesome, overall.
No, it's pretty bad.

On the topic of "when will Windows 7 stop getting builds," I think the answer will be related to when Microsoft stops supporting Windows 7, like they did with XP. I am going to make a guess that it won't be any time soon at all.
Ehh, there's not really a reason to drop Windows 7. Windows XP was dropped because it was impossible to support thanks to it's old 32-bit kernel, and that was getting in the way of what Dolphin needed.

Since then, Windows hasn't really changed all that much. Windows used to do heavy rewrites every time, but since Vista windows has used the same base 64-bit kernel. As such, Vista is technically still viable, but there are no testers, so it's not officially supported. Windows 7 is still the majority of users and will likely remain so for some time.

So all told, Windows 7 and up will probably be the standard for many years!
Microsoft is going to support windows 7 until 2020. They aren't planning on releasing another version of windows after version 10. That's why they want everyone on it and gave it away for "free" for the 1st year. So support for Windows 7 isn't the problem. It's future hardware and other software working on windows 7 after 2020 that'll be the greater issue
Besides, there's also Vulkan. Most people wanted this to be the new standard so they won't have to use DirectX 12, thus Windows 10.
May,

Vista is supported because it still technically works. It shouldn't work because Microsoft doesn't support VS2015 runtimes for Vista I don't believe, but it "works"

As soon as it stops working, nobody will shed a tear.

Windows 7 will probably stop working whenever we migrate to a compiler/runtimes that doesn't support Windows 7.

Is that soon? No. Will it be in 2020? Don't know. Will it be a long time after 2020? Don't know.

Anyways, Windows 10 is fine. If you don't have a hateboner for it, it's fine.
(01-13-2017, 09:50 AM)Kurausukun Wrote: [ -> ]No, it's pretty bad.

Guess his opinion didn't matter, then.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Pages: 1 2