Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: When will Windows 7 compatible builds stop being released?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(01-13-2017, 01:04 PM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]Windows 7 will probably stop working whenever we migrate to a compiler/runtimes that doesn't support Windows 7.

But why would you need to do that? I mean, what would be the benefit for such thing?
It's inevitable. Technology changes ALL the time. Eventually Windows 7 will become obsolete and Dolphin is going to have to keep up with the latest technology and software running on modern windows. People want guarantees that it'll support Windows 7 forever, but that just realistically isn't going to happen. Eventually everyone using windows will have to upgrade to Windows 10 when new hardware & software will no longer work on Windows 7 because MS dropped support for it. My advice, dual boot Windows 10 & try to get used to it. In 2020, when MS drops support for Win 7, all modern graphics cards, latest graphic drivers, other new hardware will only support Windows 10 & 7 will start feeling very outdated pretty quickly after that if you want to keep up with modern technology. And keep in mind, emulators always want you to be up to date with all your windows & graphic drivers or things can start to break when changes & updates are done to the emulator

On a side note, for those that don't like Win 10 because they think it's ugly or don't like the new UI, you can do what I did & "transform" it to look and operate much like Windows 7 (or Vista) if you prefer. It's a bit of work to get it all to work, but I like the end result

http://sagorpirbd.deviantart.com/art/Aer...-523979941

If you have problems getting it to work, ask the designer, asking here will just get off topic
(01-13-2017, 10:11 PM)Tasoulios Wrote: [ -> ]But why would you need to do that? I mean, what would be the benefit for such thing?

Same reason we migrated to compilers that stopped supporting Vista. We wanted support for new C++ stuff.

Remember, most of the Dolphin dev team are Linux users. Windows support is rather secondary even though it works very well on Windows.
(01-14-2017, 03:00 AM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]Same reason we migrated to compilers that stopped supporting Vista. We wanted support for new C++ stuff.

Huh? Dolphin still works on Vista as far as I know...
It does. Nobody is sure how, because the runtimes don't support Vista, but it does.

It's kind of a "hey it works! that's cool."

"Oh vista broke? Oh well"
(01-14-2017, 03:02 AM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]It does. Nobody is sure how, because the runtimes don't support Vista, but it does.

Then please tell me why the download page for the runtime redistributable package lists Vista as compatible (and even XP too).

EDIT: This page also says that VS2015 can be used for developing for Vista: https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/produ...ibility-vs

But yes, you are right about us not caring much if Dolphin's Vista support breaks.
I swore that wasn't listed as supported when we migrated.

That is so strange
Didn't Kaby Lake drop windows 7 support cause Intel didn't want to write drivers for it?
It seems that my prediction ages ago was correct, in that yeah, people can still keep using Windows 7, but not if you want current processors in your machine.
From what I've found, Intel isn't the only one, so if you want a new computer, it will have to be running Windows 10.
So, might as well either get used to it or just use Linux, because like it or not Windows 10 is what you will be running on next time you get a windows pc.
(Source: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/windows-7-w...-gen-cpus/ )
(01-14-2017, 03:05 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]Then please tell me why the download page for the runtime redistributable package lists Vista as compatible (and even XP too).

EDIT: This page also says that VS2015 can be used for developing for Vista: https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/produ...ibility-vs

But yes, you are right about us not caring much if Dolphin's Vista support breaks.
VS2015 also has a component that lets you target your programs to WinXP.
Pages: 1 2