Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: All of sudden FPS drops when in fullscreen/4x no longer works.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
For the past month my Dolphin 5.0 has been working absolutely perfectly in full screen using 4x Native (2560X2112) for 1440p. I have been having no issues running Twilight Princess (GameCube version), Mario Kart Wii, Pikmin, and many other games.

All of a sudden, today, everything is different. On 4x GameCube and Wii games lag greatly, and then when I use Auto (Multiple of 640x528) in Fullscreen, Mario Kart Wii lags (it seems GameCube games run fine on Auto (Multiple of 640x528) in full screen.

Can anyone explain why all of sudden my Dolphin's performance has suddenly changed from working fine with 4x Native to not? Thank you.

Specs:

ASUS ROG G750JZ-DS71 17.3-inch Gaming Laptop, GeForce GTX 880M Graphics
Operating System: Windows 8.1 x64bit, 64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor
Processor/CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4700HQ CPU @ 2.40GHz
Video Card/GPU: Nvidia GTXM 880
Memory/RAM: 24 GB
1 TB HDD, 256 GB SSD
Also, normally when I play I am running my GPU Tweak with my fans on, and with my battery on high performance. I also use ThrottleStop 6.00 with BD PROCHOT and Powersave checked OFF and my Set Multiplier at 34T. I usually play at 3,200 MHz.
4x native is fine but make sure you don't turn on SSAA because it will require much more GPU power
Make sure you add Dolphin to Nvidia Profile and force maximum performance mode
[Image: apem6yasrg24sal6g.jpg]
(01-03-2017, 02:08 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]4x native is fine but make sure you don't turn on SSAA because it will require much more GPU power
Make sure you add Dolphin to Nvidia Profile and force maximum performance mode

Thank you very much for your response. However, I had already been running 4x Native just fine without using SSAA (or anything with MSAA for that matter) and having my Nvidia Profile settings on Force Maximum Performance Mode.

In other words I was already doing these two things.

The only 2 things I can think of that may have caused an issue are:

1. Over the last week I was playing a lot on a large TV (Samsung, I think 4K?) But I was still only playing on 4x Native with that.
2. Today I just installed the current version of Oracle VM VirtualBox to run Windows XP (for work-related stuff). Could partitioning a tiny amount of RAM and Harddrive space to this have screwed something up? Even though I have the program closed while using Dolphin?

Edit: Lastly, I did check to make sure my Geforce Drivers were up to date and they already were (and have been since I installed Dolphin 5.0 in early December).
Quote:1. Over the last week I was playing a lot on a large TV (Samsung, I think 4K?) But I was still only playing on 4x Native with that
i don't think that was the case . My laptop display is 3200x1800 , quite close to 4k , game still run fine as long as I keep the Internal Resolution = 4x
I assume you have "Store EFB copies to Texture" on and HLE instead of LLE audio , correct ?
(01-03-2017, 02:31 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]i don't think that was the case . My laptop display is 3200x1800 , quite close to 4k , game still run fine as long as I keep the Internal Resolution = 4x
I assume you have "Store EFB copies to Texture" on and HLE instead of LLE audio , correct ?

Correct. Even when I troubleshoot between HLE and LLE the same full screen issue occurs with Auto (640). Twilight Princess GameCube works fine fullscreen in Auto (640) but not with 4x Native anymore. Mario Kart Wii cannot function full screen on either (when it used to). I am not sure what's happened to my computer.
Did you take any windows updates?

If nothing else changed with your drivers or Dolphin, it's likely your OS, or thermals.
(01-03-2017, 06:28 PM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]Did you take any windows updates?

If nothing else changed with your drivers or Dolphin, it's likely your OS, or thermals.

What do you think could have happened with my OS? And sorry, noob here, what are thermals?

Thank you for your reply =]
Thermals means your system is overheating, which is causing the computer to slow things down. It's called thermal throttling. When your computer gets to hot you can start to lose performance. A lot of people try to dismiss this idea saying "well it worked before", but this is a VERY common reason you start having issues with your games
(01-03-2017, 09:52 PM)envisaged0ne Wrote: [ -> ]Thermals means your system is overheating, which is causing the computer to slow things down. It's called thermal throttling. When your computer gets to hot you can start to lose performance.  A lot of people try to dismiss this idea saying "well it worked before", but this is  a VERY common reason you start having issues with your games

Right I understand. Well I was troubleshooting that and my GPU and CPU temperatures have been staying at the same and consistent temperatures they had been before. Also Mario Kart Wii still works in full screen on Auto (640) and lower natives (of course) but just not 4x Native anymore. It seems like something is up with my GPU. It was spiking while playing 4x in full screen.