Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Cyber Monday best Dolphin deal (need a new laptop)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm trying to replace my old laptop and I have around $400-$500 worth to spend on a brand new laptop. I'm not interested in building a laptop/cpu (no clue whatsoever what I'm doing), just looking to buy a new laptop. Honestly just want a laptop that is cheap (one that is cheaper at the moment for cyber monday deals) and runs dolphin great.
Games I'm interested in playing:
- Super Smash Bros
- Mario Kart
- Super Mario Sunshine
- Resident Evil
- Silent Hill
- Mario Party

Please, if possible, comment a link or just let me know what is needed. I am not much of a tech head, but I understand most of the basics. Sorry if this is annoying, just had nowhere else to ask!
For Dolphin , you need to spend $800 at least (Dell 7559) . Otherwise , most games won't run well
$500 is far too low for a good laptop , $500 is more than enough for a good desktop though
This laptop is $500 , it's way better than your current laptop and it's the best bang for the buck at that price but don't expect most Wii/GC game will run well on it . Some games will run ok , demanding games will not
If you just want something that will run games at full speed and don't care about very high IRs, just look out for something which has a recent, non-ULV Intel CPU and decent cooling.
(11-28-2016, 05:27 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]For Dolphin , you need to spend $800 at least  (Dell 7559) . Otherwise , most games won't run well
$500 is far too low for a good laptop , $500 is more than enough for a good desktop though
This laptop is $500 , it's way better than your current laptop and it's the best bang for the buck at that price but don't expect most Wii/GC game will run well on it . Some games will run ok , demanding games will not

So for example, if I bought https://www.amazon.com/Dell-15-6-Inch-Qu...YYDMQ?th=1
that would work? I understand my budget is a bit low, but I completely forgot black friday/cyber monday was coming up so I didn't have much saved up :/
(11-28-2016, 08:32 PM)leolam Wrote: [ -> ]If you just want something that will run games at full speed and don't care about very high IRs, just look out for something which has a recent, non-ULV Intel CPU and decent cooling.

Could you give me an example? I'm honestly not too sure what you mean, I'm not too knowledged in this area. Sorry :/
Look at the last letter of the CPU model.

If it's a U, then it's a ultra low voltage CPU, which means performance won't be great and it's likely the laptop will not have good cooling, so it will eventually throttle, reducing performance even more.
Quote:If you just want something that will run games at full speed and don't care about very high IRs, just look out for something which has a recent, non-ULV Intel CPU and decent cooling.
I don't think you could find a better laptop at that price ...Unless it's refurbished /used gaming laptop
I also thought Intel HD 4600 would be fine for dolphin as long as the CPU (i5 4300M @ 3.3GHz) is fast enough but apparently it is not fine at all . Intel HD sucks :/ , I couldn't use anything higher than 2xIR and I had to lower the resolution to the lowest (1xIR) for games like SMG , Mario Kart Wii and even so it's still not fast enough
I wasted $400 for nothing :/
Lesson learned , never buy a laptop that has Intel GPU
(11-29-2016, 01:20 AM)leolam Wrote: [ -> ]Look at the last letter of the CPU model.

If it's a U, then it's a ultra low voltage CPU, which means performance won't be great and it's likely the laptop will not have good cooling, so it will eventually throttle, reducing performance even more.

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productde...ndodb1301h 
Would this work or is 2.6 GHz too slow? I'm leaning on a month-to-month payment plan on the laptop admin recommended. Either way, I just need a new laptop lol
No. That's an embedded SoC which is even worse.
(11-29-2016, 01:45 AM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]No. That's an embedded SoC which is even worse.

ah, so scratch that. Very much leaning on the laptop already recommended earlier on then. I'm sure I'd honestly be better off putting more money towards a good laptop than settling for a $300/$400 one
Pages: 1 2