Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Accuracy?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi all...can someone correct me if I'm wrong please. The emulator accuracy means how much like the real game the emulator plays. An example being like any n64 emulator I've tried before, Mario kart with 4 players is double. Speed in most cases. Would that be innacuracy or is that something different? I know it's because the actual hardware wasn't strong enough to render the game with ore than 2 players so Nintendo doubled the game speed to workaround the problem. Does dolphin play n64 games? If so is it only the wii vc ones or any game? If my definition of accuracy is correct does dolphin fix the aforementioned issue?
(11-20-2016, 06:23 PM)Slottedpig Wrote: [ -> ]The emulator accuracy means how much like the real game the emulator plays.

Yes.

(11-20-2016, 06:23 PM)Slottedpig Wrote: [ -> ]An example being like any n64 emulator I've tried before, Mario kart with 4 players is double. Speed in most cases. Would that be innacuracy or is that something different?

That sounds like an inaccuracy. I wouldn't count it as inaccuracy if the problem was that emulation couldn't run fast enough, but that's not what you're describing.

(11-20-2016, 06:23 PM)Slottedpig Wrote: [ -> ]Does dolphin play n64 games? If so is it only the wii vc ones or any game?

Only Wii VC ones (or special releases like the Zelda collector's disc for GameCube). Normal N64 ROMs won't run in Dolphin.

(11-20-2016, 06:23 PM)Slottedpig Wrote: [ -> ]If my definition of accuracy is correct does dolphin fix the aforementioned issue?

I don't know for sure. Dolphin is not great at getting the speed of things exactly right, but I guess it's worth trying.
Mario Kart 64 4 players mode is double speed (not sure if it's double, but faster than solo for sure) even on real hardware, it's accurate.
(11-20-2016, 09:47 PM)DrHouse64 Wrote: [ -> ]Mario Kart 64 4 players mode is double speed (not sure if it's double, but faster than solo for sure) even on real hardware, it's accurate.

I have to respectfully disagree...mk64 on real hardware runs normally and is playable, during emulation it becomes unplayable above 2 players.  I know the reason why but I cant figure out how to correct it.  The reasoning is because the n64 wasnt powerful enough to play at full speed, so they simply overclocked the game to compensate making it appear as if it is running normally.  The emulator cant do that for some reason. 
It probably runs at like 40 fps on 3 player so it makes physics 1.5x faster
(11-21-2016, 12:59 AM)Slottedpig Wrote: [ -> ]I have to respectfully disagree...mk64 on real hardware runs normally and is playable, during emulation it becomes unplayable above 2 players.  I know the reason why but I cant figure out how to correct it.  The reasoning is because the n64 wasnt powerful enough to play at full speed, so they simply overclocked the game to compensate making it appear as if it is running normally.  The emulator cant do that for some reason. 

When I played it in the N64 in 3 or 4 players mode, we all said "aaaahhhhh, what's happening with the game! This is going crazy fast!" in the Donkey Kong circuit especially. Proof is here: http://tasvideos.org/GameResources/N64/M...tches.html
(11-21-2016, 07:11 AM)masterotaku Wrote: [ -> ]When I played it in the N64 in 3 or 4 players mode, we all said "aaaahhhhh, what's happening with the game! This is going crazy fast!" in the Donkey Kong circuit especially. Proof is here: http://tasvideos.org/GameResources/N64/M...tches.html

I think your link describes exactly what im saying, are we arguing the same point lol?  It does increase it by 2x when in 3 or 4 players but as described in the link the n64 played it as normal speed like single player because of weak hardware.  Since we are emulating it on significantly better hardware there is no reason for it to move that fast anymore as decribed.  Thanks for the link though this may solve the too fast problem with those codes.
Did you even read the article? It specifically said that the N64's weak processor is what causes these issues and it works better on VC and iQue.
(11-21-2016, 10:10 AM)Kurausukun Wrote: [ -> ]Did you even read the article? It specifically said that the N64's weak processor is what causes these issues and it works better on VC and iQue.

yes i read it, im aware of that i said it in my first post, however at the bottom of the article there are two links to patch the rom, these correct all speed issues with game for all emulators that I tested with.  Perfect!
Oh so emulators are really faster than real hardware because of inaccurate timings? My bad.
Pages: 1 2