Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: At this point is it safe to say that using Dolphin is far better than the console?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Throughout the years emulators have been widely available for a large number of platforms but still for most platforms people have claimed that either the emulator is not accurate enough, stable enough, (mostly accurate though) compared to the original console. I have been using Dolphin for quite a while running the emulator at 8X native resolution (5K), 16X Anisotrophic-Aliasing on a 2560X1440 display. I would use max Anti-Aliasing as well but I feel it would make absolutely no difference to the image because of all the super sampling I am doing. With the official Wii U gamecube Adapter, Dolphin Sensor bar and a Wii motion plus. I do not get any slowdowns whatsoever. I can actually speed up the game if I so choose. Graphics look far superior to Wii and Gamecube, HD texture packs (even without them the games still look so great minus UI elements), and I do not have any input lag etc..... All whilist saying it only uses 6-8% of my CPU never saw it go past that btw. I think its great to say that Dolphin at this point is superior to original consoles. What do you guys think?
Orginal Consoles -> Emulation

Simply because Dolphin would not exist if the GameCube and Wii never existed in the first place.

But on a serious note, I packed my Wii in the original package box a loooong time ago. Dolphin is just that awesome. I just occasionally need my sensor bar and MotionPlus Wii-Remote. It will be a glorious day when Dolphin finally truely emulates MotionPlus (I curse thee, Skyward Sword!).
  • My XBox One Wireless controller is king. 1080p is king
  • 1080p Video output is king (I still need to upgrade to 4k at some point...)
  • 1080p/4k texture packs are king (I know, because I make them)
  • AR/Gecko codes are king (ohh well... consoles do too, but does your console have the power for widescreen, increased FPS & Extended Draw Distance?)
  • Save States are king
  • Emulation Pausing is king
  • Anti-Aliasing and Anisotropic filtering are king (Ishiiruka has even more filters such as SSAO, but I might need even better hardware).
  • Free Cam is king (Project64 should learn from that, in your face!)
  • Save File folders are king.
  • CPU Clock Override and Custom RTC are king.
  • TAS is king.
  • Screenshot support is king.
  • Booting a game faster is king.
  • Changing settings and codes faster and through less navigation is king.

I am sure there is more to it. All we are missing currently is the Gameboy Player. I probably upgrade my hardware in the next few years. I am fairly certain Dolphin can provide an even higher quality fidelity than I am currently used too. A year ago, Dolphin still has some major issues with most of my games. But as of today, I would say that the emulation for my library of games runs perfectly. I really need a 4k 21:9 display somewhere a long time from now (I would satisfy myself with 16:9 too)... The dream must stay real.

Dolphin is king, so is life!
Your console actually does have that power for Gecko Code enhancements in some games. Other games have framerate issues with those codes.
Ohh well... I never tried that... I was just afraid it would fry my Wii. Well... There is no use in trying that now, Dolphin took the role of being my console. Of course, the biggest benefit for Dolphin is that it runs on Windows. Now I can have all my tasks within the same operating system. Xenoblade was a nightmare too play. The game is just too huge and confusing without an online guide. Luckely Dolphin and Google Chrome can cooperate (I use two 1080p monitors, so the second monitor is used for Chrome). Or I could just as well close Dolphin and continue with a different task without switching the hardware. I like the convenience of being able to do everything on one system.
Dolphin is actually just an emulated Wii. The most reliable way without a console to test if the codes will work on console is by enabling MMU on Dolphin 5.0-583. I use that build because it is the first build with a debugger and memory breakpoints and later builds have issues in Virtual Console games with Gecko Codes.
Yeah... I guess that is a point of discussion. Is Dolphin actually a GameCube emulator (it is for sure it is not solely a GameCube emulator, while it started in early development as one), a Wii emulator or a mix of both? I really should look into version 5.0-583 then sometime. I still would loe to learn how to debug and code AR/Gecko codes so I could improve the N64 games a bit more. Well... As of version 5.0-1259, it still runs Ocarina of Time - Master Quest fine with the 30 FPS Gecko code.
It is actually both.
I use Nemu64 for making the original GameShark code in most cases then I port to Wii Virtual Console.
(11-14-2016, 12:38 AM)gamemasterplc Wrote: [ -> ]I use Nemu64 for making the original GameShark code in most cases then I port to Wii Virtual Console.

Ohh, is Nemu64 still being supported? I thought Project64 was the definite Nintendo 64 emulator. If I am correct, Nemu64 is that emulator with debugging support, which Project64 does not.
(11-14-2016, 12:40 AM)Admentus Wrote: [ -> ]If I am correct, Nemu64 is that emulator with debugging support, which Project64 does not.

There is a debugger that someone made for pj64.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5