Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: At this point is it safe to say that using Dolphin is far better than the console?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
(11-14-2016, 11:00 PM)DrHouse64 Wrote: [ -> ]I use both, they don't serve the same purpose for me. My Wii and GameCube are still wired to my CRT tv (aka the only tv you need for these consoles) with master-race RGB SCART cables and it looks and feels glorious, zero input lag. Also, being able to play Seiken Densetsu 3 on a CRT is awesome, thanks to homebrew emulators.

I have a professional CRT TV with built in RGB ports in them and natively supports RGB its great!
(11-15-2016, 10:15 AM)Slottedpig Wrote: [ -> ]Jeez, I was simply just wishing the patch would bring flawless results.  I think for $700 build which does more than just dolphin such as nes,snes,gen,n64 through retroarch Im making out like a bandit.  I mean after using it for a day or two in this system the stuttering is at a minimum now because it has already generated those shaders.  Im not going to build a beast of a machine for emulation, thats why I was inquiring about the patch.  Anyone who uses dolphin it seems are using a midrange system which is what I have.  Even on my actual gaming system though it does stutter a bit as well.  Im just really trying to condense my entertainment center and still have access to all these "systems".  As I said this is probably the most polished emulator out there that ive seen and with ubershader it makes it perfect for the regular person like me who isnt trying to play imports or anything just basic like super mario sunshine and mario golf and tennis and mario partys with the wife and kids.  I built this into a mini-itx build and im getting great results so far.  In one of my other posts i wanted to donate but sadly the devs arent taking donations.  Im a huge fan of game preservation and this piece of software protects 2 generations of games!  Kudos to the devs and everyone involved, but still give me my ubershader lol!! Smile.
ahh I see what you mean so you are basically saying that you wanted a patch for better optimization for your hardware because  you feel it is more than sufficient enough to run Dolphin 100% right? I honestly think the same thing. It was just when you said it stutters I kind of got triggered because I don't go through that but at the same time I'm a minority for the kind of hardware I have.
(11-15-2016, 04:13 PM)nursejoy Wrote: [ -> ]ahh I see what you mean so you are basically saying that you wanted a patch for better optimization for your hardware because  you feel it is more than sufficient enough to run Dolphin 100% right? I honestly think the same thing. It was just when you said it stutters I kind of got triggered because I don't go through that but at the same time I'm a minority for the kind of hardware I have.

I mean the emulator does run at 100% it just stutters when it is making those shader caches. After a few days use it seems to be running significantly better. I'm getting 60fps in everything including sunshine, with the gecko patch, injust get split second frame stutter occasionally even with my i7. With ubershader though I would be able to box my wii back up and save some room in the entertainment center. Btw I have core i5 6600 3.2Ghz.
Until Dolphin is able to emulate every single effect and every function of the wii (that includes cycle-accurate emulation), then no, the real Wii will be better.
(11-16-2016, 01:53 AM)Slottedpig Wrote: [ -> ]I mean the emulator does run at 100% it just stutters when it is making those shader caches. After a few days use it seems to be running significantly better. I'm getting 60fps in everything including sunshine, with the gecko patch, injust get split second frame stutter occasionally even with my i7. With ubershader though I would be able to box my wii back up and save some room in the entertainment center. Btw I have core i5 6600 3.2Ghz.

If you got the K model and overclocked it, I think the stuttering would stop at least with how dolphin is optimized now. My friend has an i5 6600K with a GTX 960 and he doesn't have any stutters at all.
As a whole? No.

The reason for that being is that games for the most part, simply run better on the original console because it is not being emulated and graphical accuracy is always gonna be there. You get the least amount of display lag playing on a console on a CRT vs Dolphin and a CRT monitor, albeit for most the difference will be negligible on that regard, but if we're talking the most optimal accuracy and performance, console wins this area hands down.

I think a better question would be "Is Dolphin a suitable replacement for most people?", and I would say to answer that, "yes".

It's easy to boot up games all in one place on your PC, it's nice viewing games in HD, and if you do have a gaming PC and are at the PC often, it's probably just more convenient to not have to mess with an additional system. There will be hiccups every now and then depending on the game, and some games just aren't emulated as well as others, but a lot of the heavy hitters run well enough and near perfect.

I still don't think Dolphin is outright better than playing on console as it's nice just popping a disc in and not having to worry about any issues or configurations, but Dolphin is an extremely nice emulator and is worth checking out, even if just to play in HD.
It all depends on what kind of user you are. If you prefer audiovisual quality and quality-of-life additions and do not mind a few accuracy issues, Dolphin is for sure the superior option. If performance and accuracy is your goal, than the console always win. Only emulators such as Higan can "perfectly" reproduce the accuracy of a console. Audiovisual quality comes with a cost of course, the wii for is example is limited to 480p (576i is an additional option for PAL) and using Dolphin at 1080p... Well that is not exactly repoducing the console at it should be.

I see Dolphin more of less as an system that that overcome the limitations of the hardware of the Wii (and GameCube). It is perhaps not that fun anymore keep play playing those old games from 2002 or anywhere between in such low resolution and texture sizes. The games itself remains timeless in gameplay, so that will never grow old, but their audiovisual quality will over time. Luckely thanks to Dolphin these limitations can be overcome through features such as texture packs, custom resolutions, anti-aliasing, anisotropic filtering, 24-bit color (new recently), Dolby Pro Logic II emulation, CPU Clock Override, codes for increased quality, custom controller support and much more.

In the end, it all depends on if you really want to stick to the playing the "original" game or you rather play an "improved" version while don't minding a few texture and framerate oddities. Most of the popular Nintendo games (such as Mario, Zelda, Metroid) are in fact playable without major issues. I guess there are still plenty of odd Wii games which might not boot yet (all GameCube games do boot in fact) or get past the select screen. For me, the whole point of buying my Wii in the first instance was for those exclusive Nintendo games, the rest of the games I would like to buy would eventually get released on PC. But the approach of improving these old games through Dolphin is not unique here, the same approach also applies for older PC games. Gameplay is timeless, but audiovisual quality not, so that is worth improving upon that to ensure their legacies.
(11-16-2016, 02:41 PM)Kokonoe Wrote: [ -> ]As a whole? No.

The reason for that being is that games for the most part, simply run better on the original console because it is not being emulated and graphical accuracy is always gonna be there. You get the least amount of display lag playing on a console on a CRT vs Dolphin and a CRT monitor, albeit for most the difference will be negligible on that regard, but if we're talking the most optimal accuracy and performance, console wins this area hands down.

I think a better question would be "Is Dolphin a suitable replacement for most people?", and I would say to answer that, "yes".

It's easy to boot up games all in one place on your PC, it's nice viewing games in HD, and if you do have a gaming PC and are at the PC often, it's probably just more convenient to not have to mess with an additional system. There will be hiccups every now and then depending on the game, and some games just aren't emulated as well as others, but a lot of the heavy hitters run well enough and near perfect.

I still don't think Dolphin is outright better than playing on console as it's nice just popping a disc in and not having to worry about any issues or configurations, but Dolphin is an extremely nice emulator and is worth checking out, even if just to play in HD.

If you get a CRT with PC and overclock it to 120hz frame timings divide by half and there is less intut lag in the end. Now if you emulate the controller no matter what there is more lag.
I'd like but the original hardware is still superior. Tastsunoko Vs Capcom still suffers from one the last plague dolphin should resolve : the shader Cache.

And games like rogue squadron and rogue leader still play better on the console.

The emulator gives bells and whistles but most of the games were designed with low res in head.

Running 480p games at 4k won't create more polygons or triangles.
(11-16-2016, 06:49 PM)Admentus Wrote: [ -> ]24-bit color (new recently)

Only the option is new, not the feature. Before the option was added, 24-bit color was always used.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5