Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: First Intel and Dolphin build
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey guys! So I'm new here. I've been playing around with Dolphin on my laptop computer and it "works" but it slow and laggy with just about any setting above low. I'm wanting to build a computer to run it, but I usually run AMD, so I am new to this Intel setup and with their performance benchmarks. I did some research, but the most I could get out of it was that Intel CPU was the only way to go and that I need a decent amount of ram. Below is a parts list I put together and I just wanted to see if I could get a consensus from the group about how it would run.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6400 2.7GHz Quad-Core Processor  
Motherboard: MSI B150I GAMING PRO AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard  
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  
Storage: Sandisk Z400s 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R7 370 4GB Nitro Video Card  
Case: Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case w/450W Power Supply

Total price here for the rig would be around $650 with everything being new, and I am trying to stay under $700. 

If you have any changes or recommendations please let me know! Nothing has been purchased yet so I'm game for redoing the setup if it is just total junk.
Dolphin typically performs better on nvidia over AMD GPUs, but with D3D11 and Vulkan, AMD GPUs are fine too. If you're going for an AMD GPU though, why an older gen card?
(10-27-2016, 09:47 AM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]Dolphin typically performs better on nvidia over AMD GPUs, but with D3D11 and Vulkan, AMD GPUs are fine too. If you're going for an AMD GPU though, why an older gen card?

Was trying to stay around $140~$160 for the GPU, but I'm open to suggestions about a different one if it keeps the budget at or under $700!

1050/ti sounds good for that price.
(10-27-2016, 10:21 AM)ExtremeDude2 Wrote: [ -> ]1050/ti sounds good for that price.

Would a model such as the ASUS GeForce DUAL GTX 1050Ti be one you would recommend in place of the R7? Or would you have another specific model in mind?
R7 370 is slower than GTX 960
GTX 1050ti is on par with GTX 960 4GB version . Therefore, it's faster than the R7 370
Both GTX 1050 and 1050Ti are low power consumption cards . 1 fan is good enough
Dual fan is just a gimmick for these cards , normally it will require extra 6 pin connector and that will defeat the purpose of buying these cards
I would buy EVGA GTX 1050ti SC (Superclock) if I was you , this card was OCed right out of the box and it's cheaper than the Asus one
IMO, EVGA cards are a lot more durable than Asus . As I never have any luck with Asus card/mobo
(10-27-2016, 11:31 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]R7 370 is slower than GTX 960
GTX 1050ti is on par with GTX 960 4GB version . Therefore, it's faster than the R7 370
Both GTX 1050 and 1050Ti are low power consumption cards . 1 fan is good enough
Dual fan is just a gimmick for these cards , normally it will require extra 6 pin connector and that will defeat the purpose of buying these cards
I would buy EVGA GTX 1050ti SC (Superclock) if I was you , this card was OCed right out of the box and it's cheaper than the Asus one
IMO, EVGA cards are a lot more durable than Asus . As I never have any luck with Asus card/mobo

Noted! I'm taking a look at it right now. Would there be any other hardware changes that would be recommended? 
The CPU , 2.7GHz stock (3.3GHz boost) is a bit too low . Dolphin is a dual core application
i3 6100 @ 3.7GHz will do a better job than the low clock i5 in Dolphin but i3 is a dual core which is not a futureproof CPU
Maybe you should spend a little bit more and get the i5 6600
(10-27-2016, 11:53 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]The CPU , 2.7GHz stock (3.3GHz boost) is a bit too low . Dolphin is a dual core application
i3 6100 @ 3.7GHz will do a better job than the low clock i5 in Dolphin but i3 is a dual core which is not a futureproof CPU
Maybe you should spend a little bit more and get the i5 6600

Would you recommend the regular i5-6600 or the i5-6600k? The mobo is using a B150 chipset and from my understanding, it's not designed for overclocking. However, MSI makes it sound like that mobo will support OC. 
B150 does not support any kind of overclocking
https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=262433.0
That is probably false advertising
i5 6600k + Z170 if you want to OC . But honestly , i5 6600 stock speed is good enough for Dolphin
You may need i5 6600k @ 4.4GHz if you want good performance on Cemu (WiiU Emu) though
Pages: 1 2