Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Random question about emulators in general
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm thinking of designing a dual or triple nvidia 1000 series computer specifically to play all emulators I can get my hands on including the new 360 emu and wii u emus. Do any of the emulators take advantage of SLI? Does Dolphin?
Dolphin does not take advantage of SLI
(08-22-2016, 01:12 PM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]Dolphin does not take advantage of SLI

What would be the reason why it does not? Just about every system I own has 2 or 3 GPUs. :/ Is there at least a way to dedicate a GPU to its use? IE I have 2 GPUs, 1 is being used for ubuntu/windows to run, the other is just sitting there waiting for dolphin to use it?
(08-22-2016, 01:44 PM)elementalwindx Wrote: [ -> ]What would be the reason why it does not?

Because Dolphin is not a PC game and adding SLI support to it would just make the emulation worse rather than faster (if that's what you're thinking)...
(08-22-2016, 01:57 PM)Jhonn Wrote: [ -> ]Because Dolphin is not a PC game and adding SLI support to it would just make the emulation worse rather than faster (if that's what you're thinking)...

Yep that is what I was thinking. Ok thanks. Smile
I'd worry more about the CPU having enough power for those than whether or not 2-3 GPUs are going to be useful
(08-26-2016, 02:13 AM)TehGuy Wrote: [ -> ]I'd worry more about the CPU having enough power for those than whether or not 2-3 GPUs are going to be useful

How are the emulators with handling multiple core processors like these xenon 12 core cpus? Winkor do they only use a couple cores and that's it?
(08-26-2016, 03:19 AM)elementalwindx Wrote: [ -> ]How are the emulators with handling multiple core processors like these xenon 12 core cpus? Winkor do they only use a couple cores and that's it?

This has been asked like a billion times. They can only use a few cores at once, because of the architecture of the systems they're emulating. (Dolphin can, at most, use 3 cores - the CPU, GPU, and sometimes one for the audio DSP) . Any more than that would cause serious issues with timing and cause more problems than it's worth.