Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Is it weird that Super Mario Galaxy 2 seems to be harder to run than Super Mario 3DW?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I know these are two different emulators and all, but I remember how hard it was and how much upgrading I had to do to get SMG1+2 to run at max frames on my rig, but I just downloaded the CEMU emulator and tried out SM3DW and despite some hiccups (biggest due to mirrors) it runs e-z.
Not sure if I misunderstood, but your comparison seems flawed to me. You seem to be comparing "how much upgrading I had to do to get SMG1+2 to run at max frames on my rig", with how well SM3DW is running on your upgraded rig.
The Super Mario Galaxy games run much better on Dolphin than CEMU emulates any game. That is a fact, period. CEMU is in it's babysteps. Besides, it is source-closed which is frowned upon. Because CEMU is quite new it lacks a lot of emulation functions, which may cause SM3D to be played smoothly. Properly emulating a game with complete functionality for a game (which Dolphin does) requires more CPU power. So yeah, you will have a much more enjoyable experience using Dolphin instead.

There are no known issues (except for the missing roar effect for bosses and Cosmic Mario holding a shell) for the Super Mario Galaxy games in Dolphin, both games run smooth as butter provided you have the proper hardware. You do have the proper hardware right? This is Wii and WiiU emulation you are talking about. Of course, the galaxy games are well known for the demanding resources. If you want something easier to run try New Super Mario Bros. Wii or Super Smash Bros. Melee.
I already run both SMG games at max frames. But I see your point guys, thanks.

BTW how well does The Last Story run on 5.0?
It is about one of the most demanding (if not the most) games on Dolphin. But with the proper hardware you can complete the entire game. My hardware setup at least does. The biggest issue is that you need to disable EFB Copies to Texture Only. The Ishiiruka build however has a hack which only disables EFB Copies to Texture Only when needed. But if your hardware is powerful enough, you could just run it on the official dev builds or Dolphin 5.0 with EFB Copies to Texture Only disabled.
I have a gtx 980, 4690k, and 16GB DDR3

I've been getting constant 30fps on dolphin 5.0 even during dialogue scenes, amidst chaotic battles, and traveling around the main city hub. Wow 5.0 has come a LONG way. If I can play this at perfect frames then its GGWP!
Not at all, because this isn't what most people would call playable, but is expected from such specs.
Two emulators for different systems cannot and should not be compared. They're literally different systems.

"Damn, this apple is so much more red than this orange! They're both fruit!"
With your specs it is a miracle both games still run at constant 60 FPS fullspeed.

(08-08-2016, 01:58 AM)Hamodebu50 Wrote: [ -> ]Is it weird that I can run SMG at 35-60FPS( Enabled Skip EFB access from CPU ) with my crappy specs?

(08-09-2016, 08:31 PM)Hamodebu50 Wrote: [ -> ]so basically, fullspeed is not playable *Facepalm*

You seem to be contradicting yourself here. 35 FPS is not fullspeed. Yea, it could be considered playable but not enjoyable.
(08-09-2016, 08:31 PM)Hamodebu50 Wrote: [ -> ]so basically, fullspeed is not playable *Facepalm*

35 fps is not fullpeed. Actually it's only about half speed.
Pages: 1 2