Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: [Help] Changing in game images
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
i ve been playing paper mario ttyd and i was wondering if it is possible to change some in-game images, i want to change goombellas image(for example) and place luigis images in its place so i can use luigi as a partner. i want to know ifi this is possible and if it is possible, how do i do it. i've been loking for any kind of tutorial about this, but i haven't had any luck.
if this is against the rules just tell me so since i am a new member.
Thanks for your help.
You can dump textures, edit, then load them (graphics, advanced) but you probably can't change the shape without flat out modding the game.
I'm not sure if Thousand-Year Door actually uses flattened models or whether they're just sprites. If it's the former, you'd have to research the game's model format and do some clever replacing.

rayfin

can't change the shape without flat out modding the game
Just to clear things up, almost all characters in this game are composed of sprites. It is possible to make a character appear as another character, but there is only so much you could do and it would not be easy. The shape of the textures are not a factor, as all textures are rectangles, and shape is defined by where color meets transparency within that rectangle, if the texture allows transparency at all. Limitations of what can be done can be defined by the size of the character texture, the sample points of the texture (if its a "multi" texture), and how/where the texture appears in-game (or, how they are pieced together). It is not possible to exceed the outer boundaries of the texture without some kind of modification to the game itself, meaning, Goombella can not be much taller/wider than she is now, but there is a tiny bit of wiggle room.

So with that in mind, Goombella for example, would be a poor choice for Luigi because she is so small and does not have a lot of moving parts, that is, unless there is a desire for a mini-Luigi. Assuming Luigi would be created from Koops, the "main" pieces that make up Luigi would have to replace the Koops textures within the boundaries of the sample points of the main texture. This would take a lot of experimenting to get right, because it's not clear where the boundaries actually reside. There is also the feet, arms, mouth, and eyes to consider, along with battle and special animations (koops can be kicked as a shell).

So it is definitely possible to make a character appear as a different character, but it might not be possible to make it perfect. Lining everything up to look correct would take a lot of patience and experimentation.
(07-28-2016, 08:26 PM)Bighead Wrote: [ -> ]Just to clear things up, almost all characters in this game are composed of sprites. It is possible to make a character appear as another character, but there is only so much you could do and it would not be easy. The shape of the textures are not a factor, as all textures are rectangles, and shape is defined by where color meets transparency within that rectangle, if the texture allows transparency at all. Limitations of what can be done can be defined by the size of the character texture, the sample points of the texture (if its a "multi" texture), and how/where the texture appears in-game (or, how they are pieced together). It is not possible to exceed the outer boundaries of the texture without some kind of modification to the game itself, meaning, Goombella can not be much taller/wider than she is now, but there is a tiny bit of wiggle room.

So with that in mind, Goombella for example, would be a poor choice for Luigi because she is so small and does not have a lot of moving parts, that is, unless there is a desire for a mini-Luigi. Assuming Luigi would be created from Koops, the "main" pieces that make up Luigi would have to replace the Koops textures within the boundaries of the sample points of the main texture. This would take a lot of experimenting to get right, because it's not clear where the boundaries actually reside. There is also the feet, arms, mouth, and eyes to consider, along with battle and special animations (koops can be kicked as a shell).

So it is definitely possible to make a character appear as a different character, but it might not be possible to make it perfect. Lining everything up to look correct would take a lot of patience and experimentation.

I see. but i still want to give it a shot, but i have no idea where to start, does anyone know of a tutorial o something like that to help me do this? i will try to post any progress i make in this thread.
thanks for everyone help
(07-28-2016, 10:15 PM)Dolphin.GC.Wii Wrote: [ -> ]Changing the character's shape and size, as you(Bighead) said goombella couldn't be tall or wide because these is tiny bit of wiggle room.
So, I'm asking if game wll crash because of this.

It won't.
It probably won't crash, but it will look weird or just like a mess.