Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin 5.0 x64: Graphic garbage in GC games with anti-aliasing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

xeno74

Hi all,

Many thanks for Dolphin 5.0 for OS X. My Wii games work with anti-aliasing perfectly.  Smile

Unfortunately if I select anti-aliasing for Gamecube games then I only get graphic garbage. I tested it with Mario Kart Double Dash (NTSC and PAL version) and with F-Zero GX yesterday.  Sad

My system:

Computer: MacPro4,1 (2009)
Operating System: OS X 10.11.5 El Capitan x64
Processor/CPU: Quad Core Intel Xeon 2.93 GHz
Video Card/GPU: ATI Radeon HD 4870 PCIe x16 5.0GT/s 512MB GDDR5
Memory/RAM: 8GB DDR3 ECC 1066MHz
Dolphin Revision: 5.0 x64

glxinfo | grep -i opengl

OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: ATI Radeon HD 4870 OpenGL Engine
OpenGL version string: 2.1 ATI-10.0.48
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20

Is it a graphics card problem?

Please find attached a screenshot of a GC game with anti-aliasing enabled.

Cheers,

Christian
It's an issue with your graphics drivers I think. We have an issue with OSX and AA.

xeno74

(07-10-2016, 10:49 PM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]It's an issue with your graphics drivers I think.  We have an issue with OSX and AA.

Hi JMC47,

Thank you for your reply.

4.0-1603 is working fine with Gamecube games and AA enabled.

The Wii games don't have a problem if AA is enabled in Dolphin 5.0. Why?

I can test Dolphin 5.0 with a Nvidia GTX 680 2GB. What do you think about this graphics card?

Thanks in advance,

Christian
It's something to do with your GPU's drivers, i.e. how Apple's OpenGL drivers handle things. A lot of things have changed since 4.0-1603, so 5.0 probably uses AA in a way Apple's drivers don't handle well.

This is something Apple should fix, ideally. Their OpenGL drivers are pretty outdated and in the past have been an issue for Dolphin. While not the best solution, you can either dual-boot into another OS (Linux or Windows) or try using the FXAA shader in Dolphin.
IIRC this issue is because of a driver bug for sample shading. Try to disable "emulate format changes", and the broken feature will disappear, but likely also some parts of the game Wink

xeno74

I use the version 1603 for Mario Kart Double Dash. It works with AA without any problems. It's fantastic that old versions still available.

Wii games don't have a problem with AA enabled on Dolphin 5.0. I think, the bug was fixed for the Wii part.

Only Gamecube games have problems with AA enabled. Why?

I'm not sure if Apple fix the code.

Nevertheless, Dolphin is really great! Fantastic work! I love it!