Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Netplay broken on Linux?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm using Ubuntu 16.04, installed Dolphin from this ppa: https://launchpad.net/~dolphin-emu/+archive/ubuntu/ppa, tested everything with both dolphin-emu (5.0 stable) and dolphin-emu-master (nigthly), tried compiling dolphin myself, tried removing my config files too.

I used to play on netplay with friends (they use windows) some time ago with Dolphin 4 nightly builds just fine. As of recent releases, I can't host or join netplay games. When I click on connect (or they do if I'm hosting), the UI just hangs for a few seconds and nothing happens. No error message, nothing.

I have correct router settings, as I can host other kinds of servers that use udp and tcp, and my friends can host too and connect to each other. If I use other PC here with Windows, I can connect normally.

I can connect to myself on linux using direct connection through my external IP. Transversal behaves like the other cases.

I was hoping it was some kind of error on my end, but I don't know where else can I search for errors (is it a problem with netplay on Linux?).

Any ideas? Anyone else having those problems?
Can a mod transfer this thread to "Development Discussion"? It may fit better there because looking again now I think it's more of a *possible* bug report than anything.
The developer forum isn't for bug reports as far as I know.
I'm not really sure if this is really a bug, trying to be patient about it and see if someone else has the same problem, but I can't find similar reports anywhere. But after all the tests I did I can't think it's something else either...
Is there a way for me to report bugs to Dolphin? I couldn't find a tab on the github repo or a session on the forums.
On Ubuntu 16.04 I built 5.0 stable from source and I haven't had any problems with netplay. I am able to connect to a windows friend and they are able to connect to me using the traversal server.
Uhh... tried compiling it again, tried connecting to my router by LAN (my modem is also a router so I can't get a more direct connection) and it didn't work. I checked linux firewall settings here and it's all disabled. I can't get over how it works with Windows here... it can't be any router configuration problem. I guess I'm just out of luck searching for the cause then.
(07-03-2016, 08:16 PM)TheDaftRick Wrote: [ -> ]On Ubuntu 16.04 I built 5.0 stable from source and I haven't had any problems with netplay. I am able to connect to a windows friend and they are able to connect to me using the traversal server.

Uh, isn't netplay working with dolphin from PPA? It's using shared ENET lib (-DUSE_SHARED_ENET=ON on cmake), any problem with it?

TheXzoron

I have the exact problem on Linux I cannot connect to my windows using friends on the native client however I can connect to them on wine in linux or on windows 10.

Eetrexx

I seem to be having the same or a similar problem on Gentoo Linux .

Built dolphin version 5.0-321, used by Anther's Ladder for Smash Melee netplay. Can't connect to anyone, and no one can connect to me. Tried building the stable version, no success. In both versions, tried building with the shared ENET lib to no avail. The ebuild also didn't work.

Ports opened and firewall off doesn't seem to be the problem. (DMZ)

The windows machine in my network can connect to others normally, without any additional config.

If someone can bring any insight into what might be happening, I thank in advance.

EDIT: Tested on a 4.0-7840 build and got it working. Seems like a >=5.0 problem, at least in my case.
From what I can tell it's from people using different revisions. Netplay is broken in some odd ways right now; as such the warning that the revisions are different isn't popping up.
Pages: 1 2