Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Anyone with the new AMD Polaris card?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Any Dolphin users out there with the new RX480 Polaris card care to chime in on their experience with performance on Dolphin?  Been reading mostly good things about this budget VR-ready card.  I'm now wondering how it fares with Dolphin?
lmao.
From what I've read, any GPU that isn't crap can handle Dolphin just fine. Considering the RX480 equals the GTX970, it should be overkill for Dolphin.
(06-30-2016, 01:18 PM)Bluescreendeath Wrote: [ -> ]From what I've read, any GPU that isn't crap can handle Dolphin just fine. Considering the RX480 equals the GTX970, it should be overkill for Dolphin.

It's actually a little slower than that, but still faster than the 960. It got hyped too much and now people are disappointed.
Oh wow, AMD has rebadged it a "110w" card instead of the original 150w. It goes up to 200w under load, with spikes up to 300w! It really should be a 200w TDP.
110W GPU, 150W card, so nothing changed there, but people are comparing different numbers as if they're the same. The 8GB model has 40W allocated to the VRAM, and efficiency losses (e.g. heat created by the VRMs), which explains the difference. A couple of reviewers have reported that it goes above its TDP, and draws more power from the PCIe slot than it's supposed to, but it passed compliance testing, both internally at AMD, and also when done by PCIe-SIG. This means that it's likely a manufacturing defect in a small proportion of cards, and they're investigating it as we speak. The highest total power draw I've seen a reviewer report on a non-overclocked card is around 170W, so I'd like to know where the 200W and 300W figures are coming from.
(07-01-2016, 12:25 AM)MaJoR Wrote: [ -> ]Oh wow, AMD has rebadged it a "110w" card instead of the original 150w. It goes up to 200w under load, with spikes up to 300w! It really should be a 200w TDP.

Oh wow,  AMD lying about their TDP again to mask their completely inability to compete with nvidia in power consumption.  LOL.  This is the 390X all over again, a 200w TDP card that only "occasionally" spikes to 500w.  What a joke.  AMD needs to bring actual worthwhile products to the market.
(06-30-2016, 10:36 PM)Anti-Ultimate Wrote: [ -> ]It's actually a little slower than that, but still faster than the 960. It got hyped too much and now people are disappointed.

According to benchmarks, it's faster on average than the stock GTX970. It is slightly slower in some dx11 games against GTX970s, but faster in other dx11 games. In dx12 games, it is a good deal better than the GTX970, and occasionally approaches GTX980 levels. I expect the performance of the RX 480 to improve since it just came out and the drivers are still immature - whereas GTX970 drivers have already reached its peak.

All in all, it's basically an overclocked GTX970 that costs $200 ($65-$70 cheaper than the GTX970, as the 4gb version basically performs the same) and uses the same power as the GTX970. Not a bad deal. Nvidia isn't going to replace the lower end Maxwells, and even their GTX1060 will cost a good deal more than the RX 480.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/RX_480/1.html
[Image: perfrel_3840_2160.png]
[Image: perfrel_2560_1440.png]
(07-01-2016, 04:46 AM)Nintonito Wrote: [ -> ]Oh wow,  AMD lying about their TDP again to mask their completely inability to compete with nvidia in power consumption.  LOL.  This is the 390X all over again, a 200w TDP card that only "occasionally" spikes to 500w.  What a joke.  AMD needs to bring actual worthwhile products to the market.

Its target TDP is 150watts. It spikes to 160s-low 170s watts occasionally. The 200watt review was for attempting overclocking iirc. Honestly, it's not bad, even if it doesn't reach Pascal level efficiency. It uses the same amount of electricity as the GTX970 (which is still a very efficient Maxwell card) and performs roughly equal to an overclocked GTX970. It also costs $65-$70 less than the 970.

If AMD can fix that PCIe power draw issue, and get aftermarket versions to have DVI + better coolers, then it would be an excellent midrange card. GTX970 OC level performance with the same level of electrical consumption for 75% of the price.

thepetecrazy

I read on Reddit that the 480 is underperforming and chrashing on DX12.. can someone verify those claims?
Pages: 1 2