Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Future Milestones (post 5.0)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
What is on the roadmap for the future development of Dolphin? What feature milestones are being planned before there is a 6.0 release? (I know 6.0 is likely many years away, I am just using that as an example as the next stable build of Dolphin.)

Currently I know that iOS support is being worked on and that VR support will eventually come. What is next for Dolphin? I am really curious. They don't have to be official team plans, I would be happy to hear what any developers personally have planned for the future.
Hard to tell. All developers are voluntary, so everyone will do what they want to do.
(06-19-2016, 07:18 PM)degasus Wrote: [ -> ]Hard to tell. All developers are voluntary, so everyone will do what they want to do.

You and other veteran developers don't ever talk about that kind of thing? I have seen Phire and other devs from time to time mention things that they think are going to be important for 6.0, and I assumed there was some kind of plan. Are they just saying what they personally think would be important?

Is anyone in particular working on bringing Triforce support to the main branch? What is even preventing that from happening anyway?
Yeah. Interests fall and rise in various features. A bunch of things we wanted for 5.0 never even happened because nobody cared to make it happen.

Nobody is working on Triforce because no dev cares to.

This isn't a paid position. We don't have managers saying "I need this feature worked on and showing some progress by next month"

It's mostly "Hey these things would be cool to have in the next release" and maybe somebody who wants to work on it will, maybe not.
People usually talk about the things they want to be working on personally. There are however a few exceptions that many people are talking about, for instance ubershaders or the new config system.

There isn't really any unified plan, there's only what people personally are planning to do.

Nobody is working on Triforce as far as I know.
TriForce would be interesting to tackle. I wonder if there's a way to drum up interest for it.
It'd help if any of the major devs actually had one, wouldn't it? Even if it turns out they don't need to reverse engineer it, it would just sit in their house, taunting them forever that F-Zero AX doesn't work perfectly yet.
Well if anyone is willing to pay the premium for it, there is a Mario Kart GP system up for sale.  Tongue

The only other thing that I could find was this Triforce board, and it doesn't say what game it is from, but it is not at ludicrous prices. Still probably nothing a Dolphin dev actually wants to get.

Those were the only two options that I could find. We are probably out of luck with getting real hardware.
(06-21-2016, 11:01 AM)Fallcrest Wrote: [ -> ]Well if anyone is willing to pay the premium for it, there is a Mario Kart GP system up for sale.  Tongue

*spits drink at screen*

That shipping price... wow.
It's like literally everything is working against Triforce development.

1. Lack of readily available hardware
2. Lack of interest
3. Tiny game library compared to the huge library of the GC/Wii
4. The games that do exist are generally curiosities at best, and many of them have similar, more fleshed-out counterparts on the GC
5. Even if Dolphin can/could play Triforce games, how would you even get those games

The road ahead seems bumpy at best to me.
Pages: 1 2 3