Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Slow After Reformating
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi guys i have recently reinstalled windows 10 becouse added new 2tb 6bg transfer hdd i have been using computers since the amiga days now my emuators are running slow Dolphin Git 4.0-9442and also pcsx2.
I have always installed all versions of direct x from 9 to 12 and all versions of visual c and never had a problem all mother board drivers are updated.
I am running emulators from a portable usb 3 hdd and have also tried internal hard drives.
My system is an Amd 8350/16gb ddr3 1600mhz/nvidia 970gtx running 1440p and 5tb hard drives i had no issues before running rouge squadron/rougue leader with ri res textures average 50 to 60 fps i have tried a variation of games on both emulators turning down resolution and textures to no avail.
All pc Games running fine doom 2016/mirrors edge 2 getting 60fps if anyone could help it would be ariciated thanks mark.
P.S please excuse my spelling im useless.
Are the GPU drivers up to date?
What is that AMD CPU clocked at? Your CPU is probably too slow.

AMD CPUs are fairly bad for emulators. They have terrible single threaded performance and emulators need that more than a million cores. Dolphin is no exception.

Saying you play current PC games fine is entirely irrelevant. PC gaming does not have close to the same kind of workload as emulation, nor does PC gaming have to run recompilers to translate code from one CPU arch to another (PPC to x86 in this case)
All drivers up to date on motherboard audio chipset lan ethernet and cant be cpu as clocked at 4.2ghz as for amd being bad for emulation not as good as highest intels maybe but i have had no problems with the cpu running gamecube/wii games in the past at 60fps.
Other than the ones that rely mostly on cpu / software mode and the starwars ones were one of the hardest ones to config now more compatable.
And emulators do use more resource than pc gaming i was just stating i have had no other loss in performance.
(06-14-2016, 11:39 PM)grangler Wrote: [ -> ]All drivers up to date on motherboard audio chipset lan ethernet and cant be cpu as clocked at 4.2ghz 8core as for amd being bad for emulation not as good as highest intels maybe but i have had no problems with the cpu running  gamecube/wii games in the past at 60fps.
Other than the ones that rely mostly on cpu / software mode and the starwars ones were one of the hardest ones to config now more compatable.
And emulators do use more resource than pc gaming i was just stating i have had no other loss in performance.
4.6 ghz AMD chips match an intel core i3 (ivybridge I think?) in single threaded performance. Apple's A9X, a MOBILE CHIP, stomps AMD's latest 220w 5 ghz chip in single threaded performance, slice it any way you like, but AMD chips are simply pretty slow.

Anyways, 4.2 ghz should be okay for a good handful of games.

What games are you trying to run?

If you're trying to run rogue squadron, pick a different game. That game will be slow on your CPU even overclocked to hell.
So an easier game this is starwars running on my system on my u tube channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74Y8gacSd_s 60fps made a few months ago 60fps.
Also the highest score i3 is the Intel Core i3-6320 @ 3.90GHz 6073 on passmark  my score is 8946 just under Intel Core i7-477 £252.66 on Ebuyer Amd 8350  £146.99 i diddent come to this site to be put down by an intel snob there is no dout intel are better but alot more expensive  apple a9x chip read the specs https://versus.com/en/amd-fx-8350-vs-apple-a9x.
And why are we arquing with is better its intell im a pc gamer and not a console kid arguing between ps4 and xbox one grow up.
This is probably because you have a configuration issue with Dolphin or a dual core issue.

Anyways, find somebody else to help you, you're annoying and have zero idea what you're talking about with emulation or hardware in general.
what ever mate im 56 years old and been swappind parts when you could take hard drives out a pc and put them in a commadore amiga 1200 to expand storage and trying to emulate the apple mac the problem has to be hardware or software conflict.
I will ask somene else maybe i could have a civel conversation with them and be gratefull of the help thay provide instead of criticismi get just becose i have chozen amd over intel.
Helios is 100% correct: it is single-thread perf which matters for emulators, and your CPU simply cannot handle Dolphin at full speed. You asked why it runs slow, people are just telling you that your AMD CPU is the issue.

And they're being correct. If you don't want to believe that, fine, but please don't complain that it runs slow and say that people are not helping you "just because [you] have chosen AMD".

Also, what does your age have to do with this?
Pages: 1 2