Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Your opinion about Intel NUC Skull Canyon (NUC6i7KYK)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3

ErAzOr

Hi,

what is your opinion about Intel NUC Skull Canyon (NUC6i7KYK)?

For me most interesting is, how's the performance compared to Nvidia Shield TV.
Is it worth the buy to run dolphin on it and replace my Shield?
I guess the shield has the faster GPU, but the NUC has the faster CPU. For dolphin, mostly the CPU matters, so I'd take the NUC here. And you'll get the fully implemented JITx64 instead of the armv8 one...

Don't expect any of them to render your favorite game in 1080p. But on the NUC, you'll be able to improve the game speed by reducing the resolution.
That NUC comes with i7-6770HQ ( Intel Iris Pro Graphics 580)
Nvidia Tegra X1 is only on par with the low end Intel HD 530 . I doubt it could be a challenge to a top of the line Intel iGPU (GT4)
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Iris-...272.0.html
http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-Tegr...006.0.html
According to notebookcheck , HD 580 is on par with GT 945M . In most benchmarks , GTX 945M is twice as fast as Tegra X1...
So 1080p will not be a problem
Your shield can't run most games full speed , the skull canyon can . If Cemu supported Intel iGPU , you could even play some WiiU games full speed on it
Btw , The OS of that NUC is Windows 10 which will run games up to 60% faster speed than Android OS (DX12 vs OpenGL)
Edit :I will write some Pro and Con
Pro :
_Portibility . Smallest form factor for a gaming PC
_Can run PC games and emulators well except Cemu (i tried on Intel HD 4600)
_Can hook up to Razer Core which mean ability to upgrade GPU but dat $500 price tag is ....
_Not expensive
_Product of Intel . I ensure you it will last really long . (Intel SSD is the most durable SSD out there, I do own one )
Con :
_Intel really do suck regarding drivers ! (backscreen , graphic glitches , screen tearing , polygon...)
The Razer Core isn't the only Thunderbolt-based external GPU solution - there are cheaper options, and it's likely that yet more will be released by the time the OP may decide they want an upgrade. Either way, it's definitely nice to know that there is an upgrade path available, whereas the Shield TV is stuck exactly as it comes.
(05-09-2016, 09:22 PM)degasus Wrote: [ -> ]Don't expect any of them to render your favorite game in 1080p. But on the NUC, you'll be able to improve the game speed by reducing the resolution.

if we can't expect the machine like this to run 1080p, is there any the system that will run dolphin games at 1080p 60 frames per second?
Please don't get the shield TV if your goal is Dolphin. There are people in the Android subforum that do this, but they're masochists and get to play a small handful of games at fullspeed.

Also, yes. You can build an HTPC for about $300 that will function just fine as a media center and an emulation platform.
I just got my NUC6i7KYK the other day and ran a few quick tests running on Windows 10 DX311 and DX312 (Not much difference though...)

Super Mario Sunshine runs at 1080p (3xIR) @ 60fps with no issues what so ever and even going up to 4 and 5xIR still runs it at 45-55fps. v-sync was enabled when i tested.
Same goes for other titles i have tried, Mario Strikers, Viewtiful Joe and Pikmin.

I have only tried Mario Galaxy 2 for Wii and here 1080p is doable but i get occasional frame drops but at 720p it runs at a stable 60fps. Same goes for Skyward Sword - it seems like the "Skip EFB access from CPU" is really tanking those 2 games as with that enabled they both runat 1080p @ 60fps no issues but u cant aim in Skyward Sword and the pointer in Galaxy is also non functional so not really playable.

Ill try a few other titles as well as some DX312 testings. For whatever reason i cannot get OpenGL to function as it throws an OGL GLSL error when i try to use that.
GLSL error?

Can you post it please
(08-17-2016, 11:38 PM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]GLSL error?

Can you post it please

attached SS from both the warning and the error it throws after. it never gets to render anything.
Have you tried updating the GPU driver?
Pages: 1 2 3