Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin Emulator slow WiFi
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I haven't seen this issue anywhere else, but hopefully someone knows what's going on. Simply opening Dolphin Emulator results in my WiFi becoming very slow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXgNht_MCI8
Sounds like your computer is broken.
(04-15-2016, 09:42 AM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]Sounds like your computer is broken.

It's a laptop, XPS 15 9550. I've looked and I haven't seen any other owners that complained about such a issue. My theory is that Dolphin Emulator with its native drivers for usb interferes with the wireless card, which is near the usb port I use to connect my Mayflash adapter. The thing is that whether or not I have it plugged in, WiFi slows down.
(04-15-2016, 10:32 AM)p1r Wrote: [ -> ]My theory is that Dolphin Emulator with its native drivers for usb interferes with the wireless card, which is near the usb port I use to connect my Mayflash adapter.

WiFi cards on laptops are connected to PCI Express, not USB. How can they interfere in each other?
Use a build before native GameCube support was added like 4.0.2 and see if it still happens.
(04-15-2016, 02:54 PM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]Use a build before native GameCube support was added like 4.0.2 and see if it still happens.

Just tried it with Dolphin 3.0, then I compared it to the newer build. I ran speedtest.net in the background, and watched the Wi-Fi performance graph. Dolphin 3.0 does not affect my WiFi, but the newer build does (4.0-9146).
3.0 sucks. Try 4.0.2 or something newer
(04-16-2016, 03:03 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]3.0 sucks. Try 4.0.2 or something newer

4.0-7840 doesn't have this problem! So it must be an issue that popped up in very recent builds.

Edit: Woah, it seems 4.0-9219 doesn't have this problem either. I'll have to check again when I get home, but I guess I was unlucky enough to get the one version with the problem (4.0-9146).
Do you know the first version which had this problem? You can use this bisection tool to help find the build where the issue first appeared.

By the way, running speedtest.net in the background is not really a reliable check imo.
(04-16-2016, 07:54 AM)leolam Wrote: [ -> ]Do you know the first version which had this problem? You can use this bisection tool to help find the build where the issue first appeared.

By the way, running speedtest.net in the background is not really a reliable check imo.

Ok, so I'm pretty frustrated right now, as it seems that every build from 7840 and on has the problem. Not sure why my previous testing showed that the latest version and 7840 were exempt. Right now I'm torrenting ubuntu to max load my WiFi, and I'll try to find out the first version that doesn't have the problem. I can confirm that 4.0.2 doesn't have this problem. I opened it, browsed for an ISO, and ran Super Smash Bros. Melee just fine. WiFi speed never dropped to 2-digit Mbps, unlike 7840 and on, using the bisector tool.
Pages: 1 2 3