Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Super Smash Bros Melee GPU idling
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

thebelt24

Operating System: Windows 8.1 x64
Processor/CPU: Intel Core i7-3615QM @ 2.30GHz
Video Card/GPU: GeForce GT 650M w/ 1 GB GDDR5 memory & Intel HD Graphics 4000 w/ DDR3L SDRAM shared with main memory
Memory/RAM: 8.00 GB (7.91 usable)
Dolphin Revision Currently Using: 3.0/4.0.2 (both are x64)

GPU monitored by: NVIDIA Inspector 1.9.7.3
CPU and Memory monitored by: Task Manager

So I've been using Dolphin 3.0 for Super Smash Bros Melee for the GameCube and started having the issue of GPU idling, as discovered when I read this thread (apparently with the 600 series it's a known issue). I followed all the instructions from updating my graphics drivers to editing the graphical settings, however I only achieved slight improvements in performance. It's worth noting that some of the steps I could not entirely follow. For example, the thread stressed I should leave the Dolphin adapter as the integrated card. My two options, since I'm using bootcamp to use Windows, are my GT 650M or "Microsoft Basic Render Driver" but the latter just results in an error message and Dolphin crashing.

While I was typing this very post I discovered Dolphin 4.0 so I decided to download 4.0.2 and give it a shot because why not? In the Smash emulation I found that using four characters utilizes the most performance from my GPU. When I started a Smash match in 4.0.2 with four characters it ran perfectly (about 50-60% of the GPU) not at 12-30 fps but at 60fps the entire match, I was in heaven. For a moment I believed that my issue was solved but then I joined a second match and my GPU was back to 18% usage and 28fps.

[Image: 6JgA7a0.png]

[Image: ipDR7Tv.png]

[Image: rwhTJmT.png]
Try again with the latest development build. 3.0 -> 4.0.2 is a start, but 4.0.2 is still 2 years out of date.

thebelt24

Well I discovered that the problem probably has something to do with how the GPU is constantly switching between performance states from P0 back down to P8 while in-game. The newer builds did not fix the problem. Currently trying to find a way to lock the performance state
I doubt it's because of the GPU load. As far as I know, Smash does not block on the GPU, so the GPU just has a low load because dolphin run slow, not because of the other way. If you want to check it, just increase the "internal resolution" a bit. Dolphin should still run as fast, but with a higher GPU load.

OatmealDome is right, don't use 4.0. Were you on the official site: https://www.dolphin-emu.org ?

But the performance differences between two runs sounds *very* strange...
Set a profile for Dolphin in Nvidia Control Panel to always use high performance power mdoe

thebelt24

(03-30-2016, 09:24 PM)degasus Wrote: [ -> ]I doubt it's because of the GPU load. As far as I know, Smash does not block on the GPU, so the GPU just has a low load because dolphin run slow, not because of the other way. If you want to check it, just increase the "internal resolution" a bit. Dolphin should still run as fast, but with a higher GPU load.

OatmealDome is right, don't use 4.0. Were you on the official site: https://www.dolphin-emu.org ?

But the performance differences between two runs sounds *very* strange...

Well just to be thorough I went here again and downloaded 4.0-9177 (the latest version available at the time). I then set my settings as such...

[Image: aT0TO12.png]

[Image: iHzQBz3.png]

[Image: vs9iabb.png]

[Image: 6tEtJTr.png]

[Image: iRyCCpj.png]

[Image: DL3ysQI.png]

[Image: 2tIk3Uz.png]

(03-31-2016, 07:36 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]Set a profile for Dolphin in Nvidia Control Panel to always use high performance power mdoe

I did this as well

[Image: CVN70BG.png]

Neither of these methods improved the result and I am unable to recreate the 60fps game on 4.0.2 that I did previously. It would work once, then after a while if I tried again it would work so I started wondering if it was a temp problem but I was able to rule that out when it started running slowly on the temps where it had previously been at 60fps.
Audio -> DSP Engine: Use HLE. There is no need to use LLE in 99.9% of the games any more. (this wasn't true for 4.0)

thebelt24

(03-31-2016, 06:15 PM)degasus Wrote: [ -> ]Audio -> DSP Engine: Use HLE. There is no need to use LLE in 99.9% of the games any more. (this wasn't true for 4.0)

Just played 5 matches with four characters at 60fps with no slow downs during the match. Thanks a ton! A slowdown I noticed is at the stats screen where the winner is announced (after the match ends). In matches that contained four characters there is a massive slowdown. It doesn't affect gameplay during the match though.