Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Record game at native, not displayed resolution
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

EpicLPer

Heya there guys!

Is there any way to record a game in its native resolution and not the one the window/fullscreen is showing?

As example I've set Super Mario Galaxy to 4K rendered resolution and I also want to record in that. However I only have up to 1080p screens here and dumping the frames also only results in the actual size of the game window on the screen.

Thanks already!
This isn't possible for now. You will need to use a window size that's larger than the screen if you want to record in a resolution that's larger than the screen.

EpicLPer

(03-22-2016, 06:56 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]This isn't possible for now. You will need to use a window size that's larger than the screen if you want to record in a resolution that's larger than the screen.

How much/long would it take for you guys to add a function for the game window to render the full resolution but downscaling it? That'd also work with frame dumping then ;P
It's not as easy as you're thinking...
You could do what Nvidia's DSR ends up doing: have the monitor display a larger resolution than it supports and run the game
It's easy (but not implemented) to just dump all XFB copies. So you'll get native resolution, but this way has some issues:
- non-const resolution. The screen size may vary per copy.
- Aspect, as there is usually a scaling on blitting. So all native dumps have a wrong aspect, which may need different correction per frame.
- Interleaced mode, etc. Have fun assembling the final image yourself Big Grin
- Variable framerate. Some of them should be skipped, some repeated, ...

So indeed, it's a simple but missing feature, but don't expect it to be easy to use.