Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: JoeRaptor here, can we get Vulkan support with Dolphin for the 5.0 RELEASE?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I mean I know it is probably a lot to ask with Vulkan JUST coming out to the public yesterday and all but SERIOUSLY, come on Intel why is there no DirectX12 support for Intel HD Graphics 4000???

Yeah I know, yours truly is begging and is actually interested in getting into the Dolphin scene everything but,

Basically what i'm trying to ask is, since DX12 only supports all the way down to Intel HD Graphics 4400, can we get the Dolphin Team to create a VULKAN API BACKEND PLEASE???

Also, I have Intel HD Graphics 4000 and is desperately wanting an upgrade to my current graphics API.

And, that upgrade is Vulkan my friends.
As has been said many times, there is no guarantee that Vulkan would even improve performance, as Dolphin's bottlenecks are in places other than the graphics backends. Somebody is welcome to create such a backend, but there isn't much interest in doing so when OGL already works fine for multiplatform support. Since work on such a backend hasn't even started yet, it surely won't be in 5.0, which is already well on its way to being released.
[sarcasm]Get a better computer[\sarcasm]

On a serious note, Direct X 12 compatibility was added to Dolphin because one person wanted it, and then went out and programmed it from almost scratch (relying on the common code base already in Dolphin for some things).

So if you really want it, go program it, since no developer is currently working on it Smile
Furthermore, Microsoft has nothing to do regarding driver support, so, go blame Intel instead for the lack of DirectX 12 support on Intel HD 4000...
What's ironic on this, is that people with weak computers want an all new graphics backend because they assume it will help their computers to run Dolphin smoothly. The thing is, many of these people have a GPU that is too old to even support the new API (especially DX12, idk mush about Vulkan hardware support).

Fun fact : DX12 and Vulkan APIs will mostly brings benefits to those who have a relatively new (and powerful) GPU.
There is already a thread for this, it's still within the TOP #3 of this board. Please look around before creating new threads...

https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-vu...#pid400136

(02-18-2016, 11:08 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]On a serious note, Direct X 12 compatibility was added to Dolphin because one person wanted it, and then went out and programmed it from almost scratch (relying on the common code base already in Dolphin for some things).

So if you really want it, go program it, since no developer is currently working on it Smile
Exactly, patches are always welcome Big Grin

Please don't mix free (as free beer) software like dolphin with a bought one. You're free to not contribute, but we're also free to not care about your situation. Use it if you want, or don't do so. Neither has any impact on us at all. But don't expect us to care...
(02-18-2016, 07:52 PM)DrHouse64 Wrote: [ -> ]What's ironic on this, is that people with weak computers want an all new graphics backend because they assume it will help their computers to run Dolphin smoothly. The thing is, many of these people have a GPU that is too old to even support the new API (especially DX12, idk mush about Vulkan hardware support).

Fun fact : DX12 and Vulkan APIs will mostly brings benefits to those who have a relatively new (and powerful) GPU.

That IS true(obviously) but, did you even read about Vulkan yet?
It still requires somebody to write a backend.

Exactly one person wrote this D3D12 backend because they wanted it. And as far as I know, one person is interested in writing a Vulkan backend and is already sorta working on a million other things.
So who knows if/when Vulkan will happen. Don't assume it will definitely happen just because we'd like one. Sure a lot of the devs and users would like a Vulkan backend, but that doesn't mean it'll magically appear. A lot of the devs are busy working on other things and like I said, I'm only aware of one person who is interested in writing the backend, and that was just a casual comment in conversation. Never said they would write it.
(02-18-2016, 08:11 PM)degasus Wrote: [ -> ]There is already a thread for this, it's still within the TOP #3 of this board. Please look around before creating new threads...

https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-vu...#pid400136

Exactly, patches are always welcome Big Grin

Please don't mix free (as free beer) software like dolphin with a bought one. You're free to not contribute, but we're also free to not care about your situation. Use it if you want, or don't do so. Neither has any impact on us at all. But don't expect us to care...

Ok, thank you for replying my kind sir. I didn't expect so many of you to waste your time on me but, that's fine.

Excuse me for making the mistake of posting this  thread.
That's a mistake entirely on my account.  

And not out of disrespect, excuse me for attempting  to promote the development of a newer and possibly more efficient graphics application program interface that could benefit Dolphin significantly, taking DirectX12 as an example.  I hope you specifically know we are merely taking a about 30-40 fps boost we can possibly apply to Dolphin for low end computers.

(Though, take a look at this, I promise, it will not hurt, friend) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE-HA-IZEWU

I admit, my initial post did sound as I intentionally wanted written support for the  Vulkan API only for my benefit.

But realize this friend.

The majority of people using Dolphin are on budget computers.

And not everyone has a "Powerful PC MASTER RACE" Gaming Rig out there to specifically play Dolphin in tolerance."

Lastly, I didn't ask any good other on this forum to  exactly "care" about my current situation. I'm only an example of the majority of this forum if you fail to even see that.

But here, on this earth, I am only a simple man, looking for simple things that good people like you and me can share

voluminously.

Sir, I don't just speak for myself, but we sure can all agree I speak only for the well benefit of Dolphin and

everyone that does NOT have money for a decent computer for an exquisite gaming experience.
Don't worry, I didn't want to be offensive. Sorry on that. My point was mostly that it doesn't matter how many people are interested in a vulkan backend. It does only matter how many are interested in *writing* such a backend. Small but very important difference Wink
Pages: 1 2