Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: GPU Clock Override? (Not a Feature Request)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The CPU clock override feature is probably one of the most useful and most practical features I've ever used in Dolphin. It's mainly used for games that put too much strain on the GameCube/Wii's CPU, and that have shoddy frame rates because of it.

You have to wonder though; what benefit, if any, would a GPU clock override bring to Dolphin? Are there any games out there which brought the GC/Wii's GPU to its knees in a way that could be remedied by such a feature? The answer to this is probably far more obvious to the Dolphin developers, but I myself am curious.
We usually emulate an infinite fast GPU, especially on single core. So there are some games which runs smoother on dolphin than on the real console. But we also support emulating GPU timings a bit, but we miss some parts like rasterization, texturing, blending... Of course, we also support overclocking there Wink
https://github.com/dolphin-emu/dolphin/b...r.cpp#L235
And it's funny how in some games are still fullspeed even if the game is demanding more GPU performance than you can give (behaving like a PC game), instead of slowing down the emulation. For example Metroid Prime with very high resolutions and antialiasing that you can't handle.

PCSX2 also emulates an infinitely poweful GPU. I remember Shadow of the Colossus having a lot more slowdowns in the real PS2 than in PCSX2.