Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Can I Run Skyward Sword?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
With my specifications listed below, do you think my system is capable of running Skyward Sword with the following settings attached below? Here are my specifications:

Intel Core i7 720QM Quad-core @ 1.7 GHz up to 2.8 GHz
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870 1 GB VRAM
Kingston 8 GB RAM
Windows 7 SP1

Something strange I've also noticed is that I can play new games such as Twilight Princess (GC) fine, but older games like Super Smash Bros Melee lag like heck, I assume it's due to all the additional movements and NPCs the CPU has to calculate, but the difference is pretty huge.

P.S. The reason I'm asking is because I would need to purchase a device like the Dolphin Bar in order to play Wii-based games. And I don't want to spend the money if my PC cannot handle it in the first place.
Turbo frequency of i7 720QM :
2.8GHz (only 1 core active)
2.4GHz (2 cores)
1.7GHz (3 or 4 cores)
Your CPU speed is too low , CPU architecture is way too outdated (2009). This is the main reason why you can not run games well
Thanks for the response. Most games I play seem to run alright for the most part. I'm able to run Twilight Princess at a stable 30 FPS 95% of the time, with minor slow downs at certain points, still perfectly playable, but Super Smash Bros Melee is where it really struggles, and that's from 2001. Could there still be a possibility of the game being playable with the settings I listed? If someone has played it with similar specs?

Edit:
Also according to a comment by Bombado on the Skyward Sword wiki, "20-30FPS,D3D9, 1920*1080, Anisotropic Filtering 16x, AA off, 1x native,Skip EFB Access,EFB copies to texture, i have strange issue in some areas i have 30FPS but some time later performance keeps dropping 30-28-26-24FPS in the same area,when i restart emulator FPS back to normal 30" He has a Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 @ 2.5GHz and a ATI Radeon HD 4670, and he gets a decent frame rate. Granted he's also using Dolphin 3.0-204, but still, my hardware is a small bit better than his. Does this leave some hope at low settings? Or is the new version of Dolphin too intensive compared to 3.0? I could always use an older version.

There's also a comment by Noldea, "VERY GOOD, sometime small sound glitch, but it's not critical." he has an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4 GHz and an ATI Radeon HD 6850, and Dolphin 4.0-8052. Granted he has a much better GPU, but my CPU is still a little better than his.

I don't plan on running 1080p, just 640 x 480, minimum settings, 1x internal resolution, doesn't need to look pretty.
I seriously doubt that
Zelda SS is a very demanding tittle , Zelda TP and melee are light-weight games atm . Btw , Dolphin is a dual core application . Last time i run that game on i5 480M @ 2.93GHz , it was not run at full speed , not even close (20FPS) . If i use lowest res , my i5 can run it near full speed but what is the point of doing that ? I just use my wii anyway . I haven't tried latest Dolphin though
I'm not trying to make the game look better than the console, if I can make it look like the console which was originally 480p in the first place, then I'm happy. I'm not a fan of consoles, only their exclusive titles. So I was just hoping someone could verify for me that if I played at the lowest settings, it would be playable. And maybe someone with similar hardware could tell me their experience.

P.S. I kinda doubt SSBM is 'light-weight' as TP performs much better than SSBM does. I get around 40 fps in melee, and it's like slo-mo, and the audio is horrid, it's decent when it's one NPC and certain levels, otherwise, multiple NPCs and moving levels suck. Meanwhile TP is almost always a stable 30 fps.
(01-21-2016, 09:28 PM)My Life Is Tech Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not trying to make the game look better than the console, if I can make it look like the console which was originally 480p in the first place, then I'm happy. I'm not a fan of consoles, only their exclusive titles. So I was just hoping someone could verify for me that if I played at the lowest settings, it would be playable. And maybe someone with similar hardware could tell me their experience.

P.S. I kinda doubt SSBM is 'light-weight' as TP performs much better than SSBM does. I get around 40 fps in melee, and it's like slo-mo, and the audio is horrid, it's decent when it's one NPC and certain levels, otherwise, multiple NPCs and moving levels suck. Meanwhile TP is almost always a stable 30 fps.

try out the latest ishiiruka dolphin build you can find it in the development section, i had the same stutter problems with super smash bros melee and brawl even though i have a very good system, the ishiiruka build is far superior to the usual one.
(01-22-2016, 04:29 AM)i_like_Ike Wrote: [ -> ]try out the latest ishiiruka dolphin build you can find it in the development section, i had the same stutter problems with super smash bros melee and brawl even though i have a very good system, the ishiiruka build is far superior to the usual one.

Thanks, I will try that for SSBM.

Edit
I don't see any builds by ishiiruka.

Edit 2
Nevermind, I found it on the forum. I thought it was in the download section of the main site. Also still hoping for opinions on Skyward Sword.
That CPU is very weak. You won't enjoy your gameplay with it, even at 1x IR (which wastes SS's beautiful graphics when played at >2x IR).

Also, for Ishiiruka, keep in mind it's an unofficial build, which means that any support question about it needs to be asked in its thread. It's not officially supported (hence the term unofficial Wink)
Even at 640 x 480? If so, then darn. Looks like I may have to drag out the old Wii for certain games until I can build a PC in the far off future.

Unrelated
Kinda strange why ASUS would put a powerhouse of a GPU in the G73JH, and then bottleneck it with one of the weakest i7 CPUs out there. Not exactly fitting for a "gaming" machine. Then again, I was lucky to receive this PC free from a friend, so I can't really complain. It does most everything I need it to, and then some. But I suppose it has it's limits. Five years may be considered old for a PC, but you haven't seen old until you're crazy enough to build a machine dedicated to DOS games, such that I have. I have several machines 9+ years and still running. One is about 17 years old. I still use them now and then for basic internet surfing and older games.

P.S. Could there be a possibility in the future to add some optional settings to make Dolphin offload more of the work to the GPU? I notice when using Dolphin my fans hardly spin up at all, like if it's not even using the full potential of the CPU's dual-core speed and the GPUs speed. While playing actual PC games makes it hot as a desert. (GPU Sometimes gets to 86C) Not even close with Dolphin.

How would a Core i7 6700K with two GeForce GTX 980s in 2-way SLI perform? Would it run almost any game on Dolphin? (Heh, fat chance. Not happening for a few years. By then there'll be something better and that will be considered old already, which is a bit pitiful.)
Dolphin doesn't work with SLI , crossfire , dual GPU , dual CPU like most emulator do and that won't be changed anytime soon . Your best bet is a powerful single GPU like GTX 970 , it can handle 4k res in Dolphin
There is laptop performance guide . See if it can help or not
Dolphin is kinda weird . In our official Dolphin Benchmark , 4th gen Haswell showed 30% improvement over 3rd gen Ivy Bridge while 3th gen Ivy just barely beats 1st gen Nehalem clock for clock .
That's why unlocked Haswell Pentium G3258 @ 4.6GHz can run pretty much all games full speed without lag . You can find it on newegg or amazon for only $65 . No need to spend thousands dollar for i7 6700k + 2xGTX 980
As for mobile CPU , i7 4700MQ + GTX 860M can run most games full speedat 3xIR or even 4xIR (2560x2112) . So if you wish to buy new laptop in the future , i7 5700HQ / i7 6700HQ with discrete GPU should be fine
Pages: 1 2