Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: [Request] New Launcher method
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I know that a fancy Launcher issn't as important as games bugs fix or performance improvement.
But also I think PPSSPP has shown us that it is possible.

Unfortunately it is not possible to program an independent/3rd party launcher, since you need to compile each new build with your code.

Would it be possible to outsource dolphin into a DLL and an application have accesses to this?

+So it would be possible to have the normal window launcher and a fullscreen console like game menu launcher.
+It can be better utilized by other / future projects

I hope you think about it, or explain why that would be a rather bad idea

Best regards
Easy
The game is open source...so feel free to work on those features yourself if no one else is interested in implementing them.
(01-05-2016, 08:11 AM)Easy Wrote: [ -> ]Unfortunately it is not possible to program an independent/3rd party launcher, since you need to compile each new build with your code.
You only need to recompile if you're referring to programming it in the Dolphin project itself. 'Just' code yourself a nice external front-end to your preferences (or use any of the existing ones) and simply invoke Dolphin via the command-line.
There was a proof of concept for something like that, a GPU rendered UI using (probably) OGL awhile back. But the dev working on it lost interest IIRC and started working on other things.
Per command line is rather unpleasant, it starts the emulator with a second form.
Probably the -b command should help there, but does not seem to work for me . And then it still runs a game in its own window , so it is not possible graphically to end the game or load savegames.

If you can handle this with a technique, please give me a hint where I can research

*helios747
Too bad to hear, but it does not mean that it is completely excluded (?)
Or give us a even simple solution to create our own
(01-06-2016, 03:47 AM)Easy Wrote: [ -> ]Per command line is rather unpleasant, it starts the emulator with a second form.
Probably the -b command should help there, but does not seem to work for me .
What do you mean by "second form"?
-b is for "[exiting] Dolphin with emulator". What does not work?
(01-06-2016, 03:47 AM)Easy Wrote: [ -> ]And then it still runs a game in its own window , so it is not possible graphically to end the game or load savegames.
Why does it have to be graphical? Wouldn't it distract from the game? And don't forget that hotkeys do still work, and you can still send signals to dolphin-emu, which will stop on SIGINT.

(01-06-2016, 03:47 AM)Easy Wrote: [ -> ]*helios747
Too bad to hear, but it does not mean that it is completely excluded (?)
Or give us a even simple solution to create our own

Not the person you're addressing this to, but… unless the dev working on it comes back and finishes the feature, or someone is interested enough to add it (could also be you, if you have C++ programming knowledge -- I don't), I don't think it will happen. And it probably isn't "simple".
Agreed. I wrote a custom front end for all my emulators. Can you give us more information why command line wouldn't work for you? I use the -e to load all my games and it works flawlessly
Wasn't that the purpose of libdolphin? I read this somewhere a long time ago, it's a long time goal of Dolphin, providing a .dll/.so (libdolphin) to allow writing front ends on top of that library...
Quote:What do you mean by "second form"?
A form is for example a Windows window, I mean it starts a second window

Quote:-b is for "[exiting] Dolphin with emulator". What does not work?
I'm sorry I thought that would be a kind of silent mode. (To start the games directly without launching DolphinQT) I could only poorly translated it for me

Quote:Why does it have to be graphical? Wouldn't it distract from the game? And don't forget that hotkeys do still work, and you can still send signals to dolphin-emu
It should a create graphical Paus/Main Menu running over the game.
And does not open a new window (which can be seen)

Quote:And it probably isn't "simple"
There are different degrees of difficulty for each way, such as offer a dll/so (also declared by jhonn) or add more / improved arguments for command line, or turn it and equip standard launcher with dll plugin

Quote:Can you give us more information why command line wouldn't work for you?
Lets say you want to create a pause menu with blur, or any kind of transition
Or quit the game without hotkey on controller in a fancy way, mabe with a nice little question if your are realy sure?
etc

I'm not saying that it is impossible, but it is not possible to create a closed fancy desgin, that integrated GUI and emulator