Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: widescreen hack
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is it recommended to have widescreen hack on or off?
Off. It generally breaks things. Some games have specific AR codes which work much better documented on the wiki.
(11-05-2015, 09:36 AM)helios747 Wrote: [ -> ]Off. It generally breaks things. Some games have specific AR codes which work much better documented on the wiki.

Do you leave aspect ratio to auto?
Usually, unless I'm using a specific hack to get widescreen working in a game. AFAIK we've moved to mostly using AR codes and game specific hacks to enable widescreen in games that are historically 4:3 (Most GC games, all wii games are widescreen IIRC) as they are more stable and more reliable. Widescreen hack either broke stuff or didn't work a lot of the time by itself.

If I'm not mistaken, some games require an AR code + aspect ratio setting + widescreen hack on and some just require AR code + aspect ratio setting.

Widescreen hack by itself rarely works.
(11-05-2015, 11:42 AM)nate2000 Wrote: [ -> ]Do you leave aspect ratio to auto?

Yes.

(11-05-2015, 05:55 PM)helios747 Wrote: [ -> ]Usually, unless I'm using a specific hack to get widescreen working in a game. AFAIK we've moved to mostly using AR codes and game specific hacks to enable widescreen in games that are historically 4:3 (Most GC games, all wii games are widescreen IIRC) as they are more stable and more reliable. Widescreen hack either broke stuff or didn't work a lot of the time by itself.

If I'm not mistaken, some games require an AR code + aspect ratio setting + widescreen hack on and some just require AR code + aspect ratio setting.

Widescreen hack by itself rarely works.

People still use the widescreen hack too - it's a bit of a personal choice. (I don't.) It usually doesn't break that much, other than objects at the edge of the screen not appearing and HUDs having incorrect aspect ratios. AR codes are of course better, but they're only available for a few games.
Thank you for detailed replies.
(11-05-2015, 05:55 PM)helios747 Wrote: [ -> ]...all wii games are widescreen IIRC

There are a very small number of Wii games that doesn't natively support widescreen at all. Right now I remember of WarioWare Smooth Moves...
(11-07-2015, 04:22 AM)Jhonn Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-05-2015, 05:55 PM)helios747 Wrote: [ -> ]...all wii games are widescreen IIRC

There are a very small number of Wii games that doesn't natively support widescreen at all. Right now I remember of WarioWare Smooth Moves...
AFAIK Rayman Raving Rabbit TV Party, Mario All Star (obviously), Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 3, almost all Naruto Wii games...
(11-07-2015, 04:29 AM)DrHouse64 Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-07-2015, 04:22 AM)Jhonn Wrote: [ -> ]

AFAIK Rayman Raving Rabbit TV Party, Mario All Star (obviously), Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 3, almost all Naruto Wii games...
...Trauma Center Second opinion...