Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: G3450 or G3258
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi @ all...

I have a i3-4330 and a GTX750ti in my Dolphin PC.
would it be worthwile to change the CPU to a G3450 or G3258?

thanks
Sveni_Lee
Since your mobo can't OC it would be even slower.
(11-05-2015, 12:10 AM)ExtremeDude2 Wrote: [ -> ]Since your mobo can't OC it would be even slower.

It can OC. Remember the whole thing with non-Z series overclocking for the G3258 launch?
(11-04-2015, 10:18 PM)sveni_lee Wrote: [ -> ]Hi @ all...

I have a i3-4330 and a GTX750ti in my Dolphin PC.
would it be worthwile to change the CPU to a G3450 or G3258?

thanks
Sveni_Lee

You would have two less threads (2 vs. 4.) I don't think the gain in single-threaded performance is enough to compensate for this. It would actually be a downgrade, pretty much.
Not all non-Z boards support overclocking
(11-05-2015, 07:25 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]Not all non-Z boards support overclocking

The B85M-ITX does.
The B85M-ITX does indeed support the G3258 and is able to OC it. However, you will have to make sure you have the BIOS version of 2.10 or newer as the support was added in that firmware. You can find the correct version here: http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/B85M-ITX/...ad&os=BIOS

It's hard to say if the switch to G3258 is a good one. The i3 has hyper threading, so it basically has four logical cores to run things on, whereas the G3258 only has two cores (no HT). This will make the i3 faster in multi-threaded applications, including many games, productivity software and general multitasking. Some games don't run on two cores at all (for example Far Cry 4). On the other hand, when you OC the G3258 to above the i3's stock frequency (3.50Ghz), it will perform far better in single and double threaded applications (such as Dolphin) as it is not hard to get it running at say 4.20 - 4.50Ghz.

Your choice. I'd recommend checking how many multi-threaded (4+) programs you use, and if you don't have any (or at least many) then consider switching to the Pentium if you have the money.
okay I only have KODI, Dolphin and PCSX2 on that computer. So I would gues could be good choice...
:-)
(11-05-2015, 10:38 PM)sveni_lee Wrote: [ -> ]okay I only have KODI, Dolphin and PCSX2 on that computer. So I would gues could be good choice...
:-)

I would keep the 4330. The 4330 is a bit slower in emulators, but is faster in pretty much everything else. You never know when you might get into, say, 3D modelling or video editing/making. Keeping the 4330 would leave you with more options.
(11-06-2015, 02:13 AM)yorkiesandskittles Wrote: [ -> ]I would keep the 4330. The 4330 is a bit slower in emulators, but is faster in pretty much everything else. You never know when you might get into, say, 3D modelling or video editing/making. Keeping the 4330 would leave you with more options.

It's said that you should never consentrate on what you may do, but on what you do, and computers are no exception. I'd say it's far smarter to build a pc with your current use in mind, not something that might or might not be the case in some years. That's why we don't buy 32GB of RAM or a 4TB hard drive just in case we needed it in the future.
Pages: 1 2