Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Is it still possible to put the Homebrew Channel on Dolphin?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times already but i'm too lazy to look it up. I already know how to bring the normal Wii home screen up on Dolphin and the reason i ask about the Homebrew Channel is in regards to a previous question i had. After i sold my Wii and then later on Wii U so all i had left was Dolphin, one game i really missed playing was Pissed. This is it here -

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Pissed

It's literally a pissing simulator and is great fun Big Grin I covered all the detailed info on it in my previous question. The reason i ask about the Homebrew Channel is because it's a homebrew game so it wasn't released as Wiiware or as a wad file but as an actual app that had to be opened using the HBC. In my previous question (you should be able to see it under my name) i was told how Dolphin might be able to run it directly and i followed each step and i did get it working just great... except the wiimote won't work on it all. I know it's nothing to do with the wiimote as it still works fine on all my other games, so someone else suggested doing it the old fashioned way of actually bringing up the Wii home screen, running the HBC and then running the app. Anyone know if and how i could do that?

Operating System : Windows 7 Home Premium x64
Processor/CPU : Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz
Video Card/GPU : AMD Radeon HD 6800
Memory/RAM : 8GB
You can't run Homebrew Channel in Dolphin because it contains anti-emulation code. Putting Homebrew Channel in the Wii Menu is technically possible, but it's rather pointless since you can't do anything with it other than listen to the banner music.
(09-27-2015, 07:05 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]You can't run Homebrew Channel in Dolphin because it contains anti-emulation code. Putting Homebrew Channel in the Wii Menu is technically possible, but it's rather pointless since you can't do anything with it other than listen to the banner music.

The original question i was referring to in that question there was my last one i asked all the way back in April. I'd given up on Dolphin for awhile for certain reasons, but now i'm getting back into it and i've seen there has actually been alot of advances since then... much more compatibility now!! Smile Anyway, the person i talked to in the original question back in April last was you actually and so just a couple of days ago i replied back on that original question to you again... but still no reply. I'm guessing you didn't get notified or something. If you could please check it out i'd be really appreciative because now i no longer have 2 separate versions of Dolphin because all my games run perfect on the latest version... so if i can just get this final one working then that'll be it - no more having to keep pestering you lovely nerds anymore Big Grin
I saw the post you made there, but I didn't respond because I wasn't sure what the problem could be.
(09-27-2015, 07:05 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]You can't run Homebrew Channel in Dolphin because it contains anti-emulation code. Putting Homebrew Channel in the Wii Menu is technically possible, but it's rather pointless since you can't do anything with it other than listen to the banner music.

Anti emulation code? I'm curious, what is that and why was it implemented?
I think it's more about preventing to load the app with a modified IOS(upside down display) or installing the homebrew channel via something else than the bootmii installer. Maybe you can circumvent the install problem by using a nand dump and load it from the wii menu. And if the homebrew channel runs any code on the arm cpu, "just for fun", Dolphin will just handle it in a wrong way, because the arm cpu is not emulated at all, just the IOS running on the arm cpu are emulated.

The problem with the wiimote when playing this homebrew game sounds more interesting. What kind of wiimote did you try this on? Did you try to reconnect it after the game started?
[quote='mimimi' pid='386796' dateline='1443309618']
I think it's more about preventing to load the app with a modified IOS(upside down display) or installing the homebrew channel via something else than the bootmii installer. Maybe you can circumvent the install problem by using a nand dump and load it from the wii menu. And if the homebrew channel runs any code on the arm cpu, "just for fun", Dolphin will just handle it in a wrong way, because the arm cpu is not emulated at all, just the IOS running on the arm cpu are emulated.

LMFAO... seriously mate you may aswell have been trying to explain nuclear physics to me there!! When i say i know a little about computers i mean just that - a little. You lost me after "more about" lol.

As for my wiimote - normal white one (TR something i think it's called) but it works perfectly with all my other Wii games and no, didn't have to reconnect. Everytime you start Dolphin, if you wanna use the wiimote, you just quickly go to "controller", press the 1 and 2 buttons at the same time so they're blinking and then just click the "refresh" tab on the screen until you feel the wiimote vibrate and the light is solid - easy peasy. It then stays synced unless you turn the mote off by holding the power button or you exit Dolphin... so like i can use it on one game, then exit that and open another in my list and i don't have to "re-sync", it'll work straight away for that game too. Yeah so i'm also abit perplexed as to why it won't work with them also.

P.S. I feel i should just add this, though it is a tad bit complicated. If you look at the original question, JosJuice mentioned about first selecting EFB (i've found this only works if i have it set to "virtual" though) so i did that and then i also found it also only works if i have the audio set to "DSP LLE Recompiler" (no idea what that is, same with the EFB thing - no idea what that is either)

Ok... after i have that set i then followed Juice's original instructions of ticking the "insert SD card" box to create an "sd.raw" file and then i use OSFMount to mount the sd.raw file (and i even followed his instruction to un-check the "Read-only drive" box)... it then opens up the sd.raw file like a normal drive and this is the only bit i'm not sure of and would appreciate an answer -

after i do that should i treat it like i did when i was using the HBC on my Wii/vWii and have a folder called "apps" with then a folder in that titled "pissed" with the BOOT and META etc. files in there on the root... or just the "pissed" folder with those in it on the root... or just simply the files themselves on the root?

P.S. Oh and yes i also un-mounted it once i did that and i also placed a copy of the BOOT file in my folder where i keep my Wii games. When i then launch Dolphin it simply comes up in the list as "BOOT" and where there is normally a flag for region there is simply a box that says "UNK"

I'll include a screenshot of what the list looks like now and what comes up after i double click on BOOT and in the few seconds before the game actually loads. Thanks so much if you took the time to read all that, lol, but when it comes to PC's i really am dumb as a blond! Hopefully this new info may lead you lovely wonderful nerds to find the answer... or it may do sweet f**k all!! :O
(09-27-2015, 09:20 AM)mimimi Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe you can circumvent the install problem by using a nand dump and load it from the wii menu.

I (and others like JMC too IIRC) have tried that, and it doesn't work.

(09-27-2015, 09:20 AM)mimimi Wrote: [ -> ]And if the homebrew channel runs any code on the arm cpu, "just for fun", Dolphin will just handle it in a wrong way, because the arm cpu is not emulated at all, just the IOS running on the arm cpu are emulated.

I doubt it does that.
(09-27-2015, 12:13 PM)ChronicMasturbator Wrote: [ -> ][...]
As for my wiimote - normal white one (TR something i think it's called) but it works perfectly with all my other Wii games and no, didn't have to reconnect. Everytime you start Dolphin, if you wanna use the wiimote, you just quickly go to "controller", press the 1 and 2 buttons at the same time so they're blinking and then just click the "refresh" tab on the screen until you feel the wiimote vibrate and the light is solid - easy peasy. It then stays synced unless you turn the mote off by holding the power button or you exit Dolphin... so like i can use it on one game, then exit that and open another in my list and i don't have to "re-sync", it'll work straight away for that game too. Yeah so i'm also abit perplexed as to why it won't work with them also.
[...]

That's not easy peasy. For me it is: Start Dolphin, press a button one my wiimote, and it connects. The order of both does not even matter.

My guess is that the homebrew disconnects the wiimote, like basically all homebrew does and then reconnects it. So you have to reconnect it in Dolphin, like you have for those ES_Launch games. In theory on the latest dev builds, all you have to do is to press a button. Before that, you needed to press alt f5. But on your setup, i don't know.
I noticed some homebrew stuff having input issues a while ago, can't remember what though.
Pages: 1 2 3