Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Building a new PC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hello there!

I´m a gamer who is looking into getting a new great PC build, specially for emulation. I´ve always loved the GameCube and some of the best Wii games, and I would like to have a great PC which can specially run some of my most loved games, like F-Zero GX, both Metroid Prime, both Super Mario Galaxy, both Super Smash Bros, both Mario Kart, etc. I currently have a normal PC (around 2Ghz) and I can already run dolphin very well on some games, but I would like the new PC to run said games as best as possible, at 1920x1080 and 60fps.

I will play PC games too, and some other emulators from Dolphin and PCSX2 to smaller systems (which don´t have any trouble with my current PC).

Thankfully money is not a problem, but as I rarely change my PC (around 5 years each build) I easily get outdated and I always have trouble getting up to date. I´ve been reading a lot of info from this forum and other sites, and I think I have a good configuration for the new build, but I would like some advice or recommendation. The parts I´ve chosen so far are:
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4790K
Motherboard: ASUS Z97-A
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB
DVD Drive (cheap one): LG GH24NSC0
Power Supply: Corsair CS750M
GPU: ASUS GTX960-MOC-2GD5
HDD: Western Digital AV-GP, 2TB, SATAIII
Cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 120XL
Case: Antec VSP 5000

I´m not looking into OC, as this PC should be healthy for the next 5 years.

Questions:
* Do you think these parts are good enough?
* Would you change anything?
* Is the power supply and cooler good enough for the other parts?
* Is the case big enough for this build? Could I get a smaller size without compromising the PC health?
* Any other advice?

Thanks in advance and really sorry for logging and asking this right away...
i wouldn't get a smaller case, and make sure to use good thermal paste
If money is not a problem , i shall recommend i7 6700k + Any Z170 mobo + Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4....but just look at the price
Current Skylake CPUs are seriously overpriced
(09-10-2015, 07:49 AM)NKF98 Wrote: [ -> ]i wouldn't get a smaller case, and make sure to use good thermal paste

Ok, thanks for the advice! About thermal paste, isn´t it included with the hardware itself?

(09-10-2015, 10:06 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]If money is not a problem , i shall recommend i7 6700k + Any Z170 mobo + Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4....but just look at the price
Current Skylake CPUs are seriously overpriced

Actually I´ve searched on other online stores and I could get those parts (which are better than mine) for almost the same Price!! Thanks for the idea!!

This are my current parts:
*Intel Core i7- 6700K 4GHz
* ASUS Z170-A
* CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT 2x8GB 2400Mhz DDR4
* W.D Caviar Green 2TB SATA 3
* Cooler Master Nepton 140XL
* CORSAIR CS750M 750W 80 Plus Gold Modular
* ASUS GeForce STRIX GTX960 DirectCU II OC 2GB GDDR5
* LG Grabadora DVD GH24NSC0 OEM

Are they ok? Any idea for the case? I wouldn´t like a case that´s too big, but I know it´s important for cooling the PC...

Really thanks for both your answers!!
Usually things come with fairly mediocre thermal paste.
and the paste isn't really expensive, very worth it especially if you're going to OC
a EVGA B2/GS/G2, SeaSonic, or XFX PSU would be better than the Corsair, IMO.
Really really thanks for all your help and advices!!

After reading them, searching some more and knowing the current stock on the store I´ll get the parts, this is the configuration:
* CPU: Intel Core i7- 6700K 4GHz
* Motherboard: ASUS Z170-A
* RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Red DDR4 2400 16GB 2x8GB CL15
* HDD: W.D Caviar Green 2TB SATA 3
* Case: Zalman Z3 Plus USB 3.0
* Cooler: Cryorig H7
* Power Supply: Seasonic P660W SemiFANLESS Platinum
* GPU: ASUS GeForce STRIX GTX960 DirectCU II OC 2GB GDDR5
* DVD Driver: LG DVD GH24NSC0 OEM

The thermal paste would be Artic Silver 5.

Does it look better now? Any other advice?

Really thanks for all your answers, as this configuration has improved a lot with your comments...
There won't be much you can't run, even outside of dolphin with that build.
all these fast components but you will be running os from sluggish 5400rpm hdd.? what's the point.?
Pages: 1 2 3