Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Is that 8G ram really not enough for prefecthing custom textures ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
i was using hypatia's wind waker custom textures on old version of dolphin for awhile, it was nice experience although suffer from stuttering here and there
so i changed to latest 4.0 7459 coz been told that now dolphin can use about 6G to prefetch those texture and totally stutter free.

but turns out i always ran out of memory and so texture loading failed, last time it was using 6089mb ram but still not working.
so here's just a quick question , is it my 8gb ram really not enough for that prefetch function because that texture pack is only 500mb?
 or is there any workaround at the moment before i upgrade to 16G?
thx

(08-28-2015, 01:47 AM)AcidRains Wrote: [ -> ]i was using hypatia's wind waker custom textures on old version of dolphin for awhile, it was nice experience although suffer from stuttering here and there
so i changed to latest 4.0 7459 coz been told that now dolphin can use about 6G to prefetch those texture and totally stutter free.

but turns out i always ran out of memory and so texture loading failed, last time it was using 6089mb ram but still not working.
so here's just a quick question , is it my 8gb ram really not enough for that prefetch function because that texture pack is only 500mb?
thx

I have the same problem, but I have a solution. download the Ishiiruka version and use the exact same graphics backend and settings you use in the regular build. That way I was able to play the hypatia wind waker HD texture pack stutter free. Don't worry, if you will not use any special setting that exists only in Ishiiruka (async shaders and fast EFB for example) the emulation accuracy and speed will be just as good as the regular versions. BTW, on regular builds, the pack requires more than 24GB ram to prefetch! it's using more than 12GB RAM!

https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-un...om-version

Hope it will help you Smile
(08-28-2015, 02:31 AM)DolphinPC Wrote: [ -> ]BTW, on regular builds, the pack requires more than 24GB ram to prefetch! it's using more than 12GB RAM!

With the newest development builds, a computer with 16 GB RAM can use 14 GB for preloading textures, so the texture pack would fit.
(08-28-2015, 02:31 AM)DolphinPC Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-28-2015, 01:47 AM)AcidRains Wrote: [ -> ]i was using hypatia's wind waker custom textures on old version of dolphin for awhile, it was nice experience although suffer from stuttering here and there

thx

I have the same problem, but I have a solution. download the Ishiiruka version and use the exact same graphics backend and settings you use in the regular build. That way I was able to play the hypatia wind waker HD texture pack stutter free. Don't worry, if you will not use any special setting that exists only in Ishiiruka (async shaders and fast EFB for example) the emulation accuracy and speed will be just as good as the regular versions. BTW, on regular builds, the pack requires more than 24GB ram to prefetch! it's using more than 12GB RAM!

Thanks,
actually i was using Ishiiruka too before i tried the lastest master build, because i just found out ishiiruka didn't support jpg type texture, so if i using prefetch with ishiiruka it was actually only load those png texture, and that's why it seems had no problem but the truth is there was some jpg texture not loading at all, you may compares it with master build by stwitching load custom texture on and off ingame.
 and one more thing that makes me wonder is if there's not enough ram , can we use page file instead?
(08-28-2015, 02:34 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-28-2015, 02:31 AM)DolphinPC Wrote: [ -> ]BTW, on regular builds, the pack requires more than 24GB ram to prefetch! it's using more than 12GB RAM!

With the newest development builds, a computer with 16 GB RAM can use 14 GB for preloading textures, so the texture pack would fit.

seems like a no go for 8G ram to use prefetch then, didn't means for all game but for now hypatia's wind waker  hi res it is
(08-28-2015, 03:27 AM)AcidRains Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-28-2015, 02:31 AM)DolphinPC Wrote: [ -> ]

thx

Thanks,
actually i was using Ishiiruka too before i tried the lastest master build, because i just found out ishiiruka didn't support jpg type texture, so if i using prefetch with ishiiruka it was actually only load those png texture, and that's why it seems had no problem but the truth is there was some jpg texture not loading at all, you may compares it with master build by stwitching load custom texture on and off ingame.
 and one more thing that makes me wonder is if there's not enough ram , can we use page file instead?

didn't know about that, but I only started the games so i guess that's the reason. in the thread Tino says something about compressed teture improvements or something like that (honestly I have no clue what it means)
(08-28-2015, 01:47 AM)AcidRains Wrote: [ -> ]so here's just a quick question , is it my 8gb ram really not enough for that prefetch function because that texture pack is only 500mb?
Just keep in mind that loading those textures from disk is usually fast enough, at least with a SSD. But decoding the PNG is too slow. So the prefetcher also decode all texture on loading, so all PNGs are decoded in memory.

500MB sounds like not that much, but we're talking about 500MB encoded images. Decoded, this may be much more...
I'd recommend a bare minimum of 16 GB of RAM when pre-fetching a large texture pack such as Hypatia's. With a couple of programs open in the background, my system is chewing through over 13 GB. Dolphin alone is consuming over 7 GB of that.

The ability to prefetch textures is an incredible feature, but you really do not want to underestimate how memory-hungry it can be. When used with an adequate system, though, it makes for an unbelievably smooth and enjoyable experience!
Prefetching all of the custom textures really seems like the brute force way of avoiding hitches. I think only keeping textures that are loaded up and used in memory would be more efficient memory-wise at the expense of having more initial hitching, kinda like compiling new shaders.
If your motherboard has open ram slots I would easily say the most painless option is just get an 8Gb stick of memory, they can be had for dirt cheap and then you can prefetch all the textures you want.
Pages: 1 2