Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Problem - HD Textures vs. RAM
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Hi everyone!

I had some problems trying to load custom HD/Ultra textures in Xenoblade and mario paper games. It seems they were loaded but after some time appears the error message: "Custom Textures prefetching after 4093,8 MB aborted, not enough RAM avaliable".
I saw many youtubers running these textures with the same amount of RAM than mine.

My PC:

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate Version
I7 2600
Maimboard ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3
8 Gb (2x4Gb) DDR3 Vegeance 1600
Graphics GTX 570 Twin Frozr 3

I tried to find a solution but so far found nothing, someone can Help me?
Hm, that's a really close one. I think the limit is 50% of your system memory (so as not to endanger system stability).
If you remove just a few of them, it should work. Or you just disable custom texture prefetching. Then you still have custom textures, but they might cause some stutter sometimes.
(08-17-2015, 10:15 PM)StripTheSoul Wrote: [ -> ]Hm, that's a really close one. I think the limit is 50% of your system memory (so as not to endanger system stability).
If you remove just a few of them, it should work. Or you just disable custom texture prefetching. Then you still have custom textures, but they might cause some stutter sometimes.

Thx man!

I found something about it however talking to youtubers who used these textures also have 8GB RAM, they did not need to delete something to work.
I saw in them videos, loading textures messenges. In this case , 5.6 GB of textures were loaded .
Someone said to correct this error had to use a version that would have a changed command line to allow the use of 70 % RAM however, users continue to use the same versions as me, Dolphin 5.0.

Have you any suggestion?
"limit is 50% of your system memory" can we remove this limit, or higher to 90% or even 75%?
If you are insane.
The value is hardcoded in the source code and can easily be changed. However, you would need to compile the modified version yourself to use more than 50%. Currently, all official builds has this safety measure (or "limitation" depending of who's asking) and unfortunately there's no GUI or CLI option to change that, as far as I remember it was a concern that without this cap an end user could try to fit a texture pack that's bigger than the available RAM, leaving the OS without memory and causing potential crashes or other serious issues. Because of that, the general consensus from the devs was limiting the memory usage to a maximum of 50% of total available RAM...
(08-18-2015, 07:59 AM)Jhonn Wrote: [ -> ]The value is hardcoded in the source code and can easily be changed. However, you would need to compile the modified version yourself to use more than 50%. Currently, all official builds has this safety measure (or "limitation" depending of who's asking) and unfortunately there's no GUI or CLI option to change that, as far as I remember it was a concern that without this cap an end user could try to fit a texture pack that's bigger than the available RAM, leaving the OS without memory and causing potential crashes or other serious issues. Because of that, the general consensus from the devs was limiting the memory usage to a maximum of 50% of total available RAM...

Thx man..

I agree with this margin of safety. What bothers me is to see people using official compilations without this limitation with the same OS and 8GB ram . If you visualize this video you'll see it has 8gb of ram and are running with the dolphin version 5.0 and UltraHD textures smoothly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIHUeZqWKp0

In 8:06 he emulated the game and 9:07 in the upper left corner appears the message that was loaded into ram the textures (5657,1 Gb).
Currently there's no way to go beyond 50% of total RAM in official builds, so, the guy from the video either compiled a modified version of Dolphin with no caps by himself or actually has more than 8GB of RAM installed in his system. You can check that in the source code, the limit is hardcoded at line 143 in Source/Core/VideoCommon/HiresTextures.cpp, both in master and stable branch...
(08-18-2015, 12:01 PM)Jhonn Wrote: [ -> ]Currently there's no way to go beyond 50% of total RAM in official builds, so, the guy from the video either compiled a modified version of Dolphin with no caps by himself or actually has more than 8GB of RAM installed in his system. You can check that in the source code, the limit is hardcoded at line 143 in Source/Core/VideoCommon/HiresTextures.cpp, both in master and stable branch...

Thx for help!

I will buy more RAM.. Its the way...
Does hardcoding 50% is best way? Maybe just a formula that will only allocate max_mem as MemPhysical - 2GB if MemPhysical > 4GB? For anything 4GB or less just leave 50%.
IMO 2GB may be safe limit to leave untouched Smile
Pages: 1 2 3 4