Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Performance going down...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I don't understand what's wrong here (my notebook or my emulator); every updated build I get has lower performance than one another. And worse, no game even passes 20FPS...
Here are its specs.
Processor: AMD Athlon Dual-Core QL-62 2GHz
Memory: 4GB RAM
What should be the problem?
What Kind of Graphics Card On it?

Most Notebooks use onboard graphics that dont have much power, Probably your Problem.
(09-14-2009, 06:32 AM)Cameron Wrote: [ -> ]What Kind of Graphics Card On it?

Most Notebooks use onboard graphics that dont have much power, Probably your Problem.

Oh man, I forgot to report my video card...
It's nVidia GeForce 8200M G.
Your processor is not powerful enough and laptop hardware is considerably weaker than desktop counterparts, hence the poor performance. I used to have a desktop PC with an Athlon64 x 2 3800+ and only got 12 - 13 FPS in outdoor environments and 20 - 28 FPS in indoor environments for Zelda Windwaker.

Most games would typically run half speed or less than half speed, with the Sonic Adventure games and other games with minimal 3D geometry being the fastest.

Only way to get better speed is to buy a new laptop with better specifications or play on a desktop computer with decent specifications. A decently clocked Core2Duo is generally recommended for the best performance, anything AMD is generally slow as you will find with CPU/Resource intensive emulators such as Pcsx2 and Dolphin.
(09-15-2009, 01:06 AM)Xtreme2damax Wrote: [ -> ]Your processor is not powerful enough and laptop hardware is considerably weaker than desktop counterparts, hence the poor performance. I used to have a desktop PC with an Athlon64 x 2 3800+ and only got 12 - 13 FPS in outdoor environments and 20 - 28 FPS in indoor environments for Zelda Windwaker.

Most games would typically run half speed or less than half speed, with the Sonic Adventure games and other games with minimal 3D geometry being the fastest.

Only way to get better speed is to buy a new laptop with better specifications or play on a desktop computer with decent specifications. A decently clocked Core2Duo is generally recommended for the best performance, anything AMD is generally slow as you will find with CPU/Resource intensive emulators such as Pcsx2 and Dolphin.

Yeah, just as I feared... My only hope of playing at above average performance is buying a new desktop. Mr. Xtreme2damax, which specifications do you recommend me to go for? (if possible, without Vista, I absolutely hate this OS...)
You could also try the DX9 plugin, it is a bit faster than the OpenGL plugin. I can't think of much to suggest, other than the following:

Make sure dual core is enabled, Anti-Aliasing is disabled, Anisotropic Filtering is disabled or on the lowest, V-Sync is disabled. Uncheck "Enable other audio (throttle)" in the DSP configuration for games that don't need it.

Additional things to try:

Enable idle skipping, make sure "Copy EFB" is set to "Copy EFB to GL Texture (Hack)". Also make sure the resolution isn't too high, I wouldn't go any higher than 800 x 600 or 1024 x 768 for your specifications.

This is all I can suggest which may somewhat improve performance. Smile
(09-15-2009, 02:22 AM)Xtreme2damax Wrote: [ -> ]You could also try the DX9 plugin, it is a bit faster than the OpenGL plugin.

Unfortunately, this plugin is still very buggy, although Rockman EXE Transmission didn't get the black screen with it... Anyway, DX9 is not faster than OGL here, they're quite matched, except for the insistent lags the former brings...
MAKE SURE THAT YOUR POWER SETTING IS ON HIGH!

i had this problem with my notebook...everything was half speed but then on high powere settings i now get aroud 50 with most games including mp1 and 2
(09-15-2009, 05:11 AM)hansenderek Wrote: [ -> ]MAKE SURE THAT YOUR POWER SETTING IS ON HIGH!

i had this problem with my notebook...everything was half speed but then on high powere settings i now get aroud 50 with most games including mp1 and 2

Power setting on high? You mean, "high performance" in Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options? If this is the case, isn't it a bad setting for battery life?
It's a bad setting if you are not conected to a power supply
Pages: 1 2