Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dedicated CG not detected with Optimus on Dolphin x64
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Dolphin can't detect my dedicated graphic card (nvidia 660m) with OpenGL and DirectX on my laptop which uses Nvidia Optimus. I tried the latest development and stable builds (x64 version) and it didn't work. I also made sure to launch Dolphin with my dedicated graphic card. However, with the latest x86 build of the stable release, Dolphin could detect my 660m. I'm running Windows 7 SP1 x64.
Dolphin never shows

EDIT: It is however being used if you assign Dolphin to High Performance in the nv panel
(08-07-2015, 07:14 PM)Anti-Ultimate Wrote: [ -> ]Dolphin never shows

EDIT: It is however being used if you assign Dolphin to High Performance in the nv panel

No it is not used. Dolphin is already assigned to High Performance in the nvidia panel. Dolphin shows which graphic card it is using when you launch a game (the HD4000 in my case with dolphin x64). I can't really play when I get 15 fps, whereas on dolphin x86 it uses the dedicated cg and it runs at 100% speed.
If you switch to DirectX11, does the GeForce 660M show up in the Adapter dropdown?
(08-08-2015, 01:19 AM)OatmealDome Wrote: [ -> ]If you switch to DirectX11, does the GeForce 660M show up in the Adapter dropdown?

No, I tried with all the backends. I installed the latest nvidia driver too. Also, something a bit weird with Dolphin x86 (which works for me), when I go to the Graphics panel, it shows my 660m properly, but if I close and open it again it shows the HD4000 instead. It still uses the 660m if I launch a game. However, Dolphin x64 doesn't use the 660m.
Maybe try setting the preferred graphics processor in Global Settings in NVIDIA Control Panel to the high-performance instead of having program specific settings? I'm pretty sure this is a laptop, so in Power Options, is the current power plan set to High Performance? Is your laptop currently plugged in?
(08-08-2015, 02:38 AM)OatmealDome Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe try setting the preferred graphics processor in Global Settings in NVIDIA Control Panel to the high-performance instead of having program specific settings? I'm pretty sure this is a laptop, so in Power Options, is the current power plan set to High Performance? Is your laptop currently plugged in?

I tried changing the preferred graphic card in Global Settings but it doesn't solve the problem. I also use the high performance power plan.
What I've done to work around optimus on Windows is

nvidia control panel > Manage 3d settings > "program settings" tab > "add" button > browse for your dolphin.exe, add it > Set it to "High performance nvidia processor" instead of "Auto"

Then in dolphin, for the graphics adapter, select default or auto or something. (For some reason my latest copy of dolphin doesn't have an adapter selection dropdown)
(08-08-2015, 04:40 PM)helios747 Wrote: [ -> ]What I've done to work around optimus on Windows is

nvidia control panel > Manage 3d settings > "program settings" tab > "add" button > browse for your dolphin.exe, add it > Set it to "High performance nvidia processor" instead of "Auto"

Then in dolphin, for the graphics adapter, select default or auto or something. (For some reason my latest copy of dolphin doesn't have an adapter selection dropdown)

I've already done the same thing in the nvidia control panel, but I don't have a choice in the graphics adapter dropdown, there is only the HD4000 and no "default" or "auto" option.

I'm downloading my builds from there : https://dolphin-emu.org/download/?nocr=true
Nvidia Optimus driver will never work with Dolphin as long as you keep using windows 7
Windows 8 ( not 8.1) by far the best OS for my Nvidia GT 540M
Pages: 1 2