Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: I think i found a 300$ dolphin playing laptop.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
http://www.cnet.com/products/hp-15-r131w...hdd/specs/

The specs are listed above, now i know that Intel graphics cards are bleh, especially for gaming, but my understanding is that the cpu does all the heavy lifting in dolphin, something i think this quad core pentium can do.

The real kicker is the price, which currently goes for under 300 bucks on walmart, which is basically a steal.

I know this isnt a gaming laptop, so realtemp may be nessecary, but for the under the hood stuff i think this may be able to do it, with the pretty stuff turned off and turboboost turned on.

P.S this isnt for me, its for a friend who wants an upgrade from his craptop
i don't know how that pentium does on dolphin, but it seems like it would work fine so long as you don't melt your laptop
That Quad Core Pentium is actually an ARM chip (System on chip) like Snapdragon 800 , Apple A8 . It's weaker than any real Pentium and on par with an Atom
Pentium or Celeron N-series is mostly bay trail and silvermont which has low single core performance.

get the U-series or M-series, like Celeron 1007u (ivy bridge, 1.5ghz, 6EU GPU, OGL 4.0, DX11) or 2955u (haswell, 1.4ghz, 10EU GPU, OGL 4.3, DX12) or Pentium 3558u/3556u (haswell, 1.7ghz, 10EU GPU, OGL 4.3, DX12). or wait for broadwell or skylake pentiums and celerons.
I woun't recommend getting any chip that have low clock speed though
i5 4300M (@ 3.2GHz downclock to 2.0Hz) run games poorly ! Ivybridge is 30% slower than Haswell , Ivy is even worse
If you want to run most games full speed , an i5 Haswell mobile CPU @ 3.0GHz or faster CPUs are recommended
(08-07-2015, 02:14 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]I woun't recommend getting any chip that have low clock speed though
i5 4300M (@ 3.2GHz downclock to 2.0Hz) run games poorly ! Ivybridge is 30% slower than Haswell , Ivy is even worse
If you want to run most games full speed , an i5 Haswell mobile CPU @ 3.0GHz or faster CPUs are recommended

well OP said under $300. and also it depends on what OP going to play.
My 1.9ghz ivy bridge netbook plays most light wii games just fine at 100% speed like Mario Kart Wii, Xenoblade (24fps version), and Wind Waker.
ofcourse it runs very slow for heavy games such as The Last Story which ran around 10-20fps (50% speed or lower) on the city. some small area ran at 100% (custom build with hacks from the last story thread).
Quote:My 1.9ghz ivy bridge netbook plays most light wii games just fine at 100% speed like Mario Kart Wii, Xenoblade, and Wind Waker.
your ivy chip must be made from gold , not even my a10 6790k @ 4.0GHz can run these games 100% without lag
Mario Kart Wii is graphic intensive game , no way in hell it would run full speed on an igpu , not even apu can do that
Ofcourse , changing default settings to have more speed and more bugs does not count
(08-07-2015, 03:38 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:My 1.9ghz ivy bridge netbook plays most light wii games just fine at 100% speed like Mario Kart Wii, Xenoblade, and Wind Waker.
your ivy chip must be made from gold , not even my a10 6790k @ 4.0GHz can run these games 100% without lag
Mario Kart Wii is graphic intensive game , no way in hell it would run full speed on an igpu , not even apu can do that
Ofcourse , changing default settings to have more speed and more bugs does not count

well, I changed TPL in ThrottleStop to allow higher TDP. 17w for CPU and GPU is not enough lol so I make it 35watt. from what I measured the maximum usage for cpu is 17watt for cpu and 10 watt for gpu. (tested on csgo, averages 60-100 on dust 2 when tdp 35w, at 17w its 60fps or below. 720p)

now I just tested to limit maximum TDP at 17w (manufacturer default), its enough if at 1x native for MKWii, some drops to 80%-ish.
Spoiler:
at 35w TDP limit, The Last Story at 2x Native (to try get maximum gpu usage&wattage consumption on dolphin-emu). but then again it drops to 20fps when battle begins due to CPU Bottlenecking :/. gpu wattage went down to around 4watt when cpu bottlenecking happens. (have to downclock to get playable framerate during huge battle with lots of npc.)
yes I know about the high temps, fan was on silent mode.
Spoiler:
also tried mario kart wii 1xnative at 1.5ghz it's also able to play but with drops to around 60-70%, can be 100% if you're 1st or on less intensive areas.
^Can i see what laptop you have and see if my friend likes it or not, i was just looking around when i found that laptop on walmart, it doesnt represent a real budget.
if you provide a budget we can help you find a good dolphin laptop
Pages: 1 2