Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Will we ever see 60fps windwaker?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

agoodname22

Hello all, I've been using dolphin for over a year but I've just recently started posting on the forum.

I'm sorry if this has already been posted before, but I was wondering, is it possible that Wind Waker could ever run at 60fps?
I would imagine it is possible, but I don't think anyone has done it yet.
I don't really see why it wouldn't be possible. I'm surprised nobody has done it.

I mean, I have a crappy 560m graphics card and was able to play it at 1080p while recording (and recording really slows everything down). Sure, with plenty of lag, mainly because that scene had water effects that caused fps drops, but considering I can play it at all with a 560m should mean that a modern high-end card should be able to handle it no problem. Especially if you're talking about FPS without upscaling.

What I'm saying is that if I can achieve that much with laptop hardware from 2011 then I don't see why a modern high-end desktop computer couldn't just totally wreck it.

I'm planning on getting a new high-end computer when Skylake comes out, so I guess I could test it myself at that time.
No, it's that someone has to make an AR code to modify the game so that the game properly runs at 60 fps
Ah, okay then. I kinda thought of that, was wondering if Dolphin had a feature that let you run games like that.

I'm guessing if you tried to force it you'd just get the "fast forward" effect huh. Much like you would simply turning off the frame limiter.

agoodname22

How hard would it be to make such a code?
(07-27-2015, 01:46 PM)agoodname22 Wrote: [ -> ]How hard would it be to make such a code?

Depending on how the games was coded- if the animations and physics/combat system or tied to the framerate/ it would be really hard - it would require reverse engineering of the game itself (from what I saw on the internet for 60fps patches for the N64 Zredla games). but it does requires to dig around the game code.
(07-27-2015, 01:46 PM)agoodname22 Wrote: [ -> ]How hard would it be to make such a code?

When VIRGIN KLM made 60fps patches for the Kingdom Hearts saga, he said that the key is finding a situation when the game switches between 60fps and 30fps. Like the pause menu in the Kingdom Hearts games. It's usually an address that has values of 1 (60fps), 2 (30fps), or even 3 (20fps), like in the case of Ocarina of Time. Divisors, as you can see. The game switches that value when it wants, but the cheat code fixes it to the value you want. For example, using the 30fps code in OOT makes the main menu run at 0.5x speed, the pause menu at 1x and the game itself also at 1x but some things at 1.5x the speed.

Unless I'm mistaken, I think Zelda Wind Waker never runs at 60fps, and neither Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword. I repeat, if I remember correctly  Tongue .
(07-28-2015, 03:30 AM)masterotaku Wrote: [ -> ]Unless I'm mistaken, I think Zelda Wind Waker never runs at 60fps, and neither Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword. I repeat, if I remember correctly  Tongue .

Yes, as far as I noticed TP and WW are always 30 FPS, however, Zelda SS seems to temporarily switch to 60 FPS when transitions occurs (loading a cut-scene, loading the next room, etc), then it switches back to 30 FPS...
I can't see why somebody hasn't done it already. There were massive problems with Sunshine but they just went an made a completely different version of Dolphin to support it. Basically they run the game at 120fps with the code, but that version of Dolphin slows it to 60fps. At least that's how I think it works.
While it's probably really hard to get working, I'm seriously surprised someone hasn't actually done it yet. Wind Waker is a very popular game, and it's even more popular in Dolphin because it's one of the easiest to play graphics wise.
Pages: 1 2