Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Windwaker running poorly help?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello there peeps thanks ahead of time for reading this and trying to help me!

So I decided to try and boot up The legend of Zelda windwaker and it seems to be running poorly at even the lowest resolution it runs avg 19fps so any ideas?

Pc Specs

Cpu :Amd Phenom ii 945 black.
Ram:8gb Ddr3
Gpu:R9 280x
amd processors have low ipc so they are much slow comparing to intel and the phenon II is and old cpu,dolphin needs more cpu than gpu try get a core i3 and a better motherboard to handle the new cpu and update your drivers and clean up your pc with advanced systemcare,or better depend how many you want spend,because is going to get a massive speedup and your cpu is weak to support your gpu so they have bootleneck
(06-06-2015, 03:21 PM)daniellegal Wrote: [ -> ]amd processors have low ipc so they are much slow comparing to intel and the phenon II is and old cpu,dolphin needs more cpu than gpu try get a core i3 and a better motherboard to handle the new cpu and update your drivers and clean up your pc with advanced systemcare,or better depend how many you want spend,because is going to get a massive speedup and your cpu is weak to support your gpu so they have bootleneck

First of all I know I need to get a better cpu that's obvious I plan on investing in an 8350 later this year just have not bought it  yet since I just spent a small fortune on a new case psu and gpu. To be honest the phenom is not half bad considering it's age since it's been able to handle heavily modded minecraft fairly well.

Secondly I can run most games on this emulator very smoothly for the most part this is the first time I have had issues.
(06-06-2015, 04:46 PM)Timeparadox97 Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-06-2015, 03:21 PM)daniellegal Wrote: [ -> ]amd processors have low ipc so they are much slow comparing to intel and the phenon II is and old cpu,dolphin needs more cpu than gpu try get a core i3 and a better motherboard to handle the new cpu and update your drivers and clean up your pc with advanced systemcare,or better depend how many you want spend,because is going to get a massive speedup and your cpu is weak to support your gpu so they have bootleneck

First of all I know I need to get a better cpu that's obvious I plan on investing in an 8350 later this year just have not bought it  yet since I just spent a small fortune on a new case psu and gpu. To be honest the phenom is not half bad considering it's age since it's been able to handle heavily modded minecraft fairly well.

Secondly I can run most games on this emulator very smoothly for the most part this is the first time I have had issues.

You can set the the game to Efb to Texture if you don't plan on using the Pictobox or just enable EFB to RAM when you want to take picture,
the Game is hard set to EFB to RAM in Game ini (the one in \Sys\GameSettings)so for a large Speed boost (more then doubled the uncapped fps on my laptop) delete the EFB entry's from the game ini and enable "Skip EFP Access" and "Store EFB Copies to Texture only" in the Graphics configuration, only do this after taking the 3 pictures and don't ever use the Pictobox again without disabling those 2 check boxes first or the emulator will crash,  Fast Depth Calculation also gives a nice speed boost but the waves will start flickering from certain camera angles.
(06-06-2015, 05:26 PM)tet666 Wrote: [ -> ]Fast Depth Calculation also gives a nice speed boost but the waves will start flickering from certain camera angles.

Wasn't that fixed recently by Armada's depth changes?
(06-06-2015, 04:46 PM)Timeparadox97 Wrote: [ -> ]First of all I know I need to get a better cpu that's obvious I plan on investing in an 8350

no

that cpu isn't worth shit tbh unless you're doing something that requires 8 cores (you won't be unless you're compiling a shit ton of code). get a G3258, it'll be better for Dolphin and like less than half the price
(06-07-2015, 07:54 AM)NKF98 Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-06-2015, 04:46 PM)Timeparadox97 Wrote: [ -> ]First of all I know I need to get a better cpu that's obvious I plan on investing in an 8350

no

that cpu isn't worth shit tbh unless you're doing something that requires 8 cores (you won't be unless you're compiling a shit ton of code). get a G3258, it'll be better for Dolphin and like less than half the price

Okay first of all this is not a forum concerning cpu upgrades this is concerning Windwaker.

The 8350 is a pretty beast cpu for the price I have watched benchmarks  on youtube and it crushes most everything and I know people who own it and use it everyday also since I run a gaming channel an g3258 will not be near enough power for programs like premiere pro and obs I would be better off sticking to what I currently have.

Don't get me wrong the G3258 is a good cpu but just not good for what I need.
For Dolphin, we recommend users to stay away from AMD because their CPUs do not have good single-core speeds, which since Dolphin is a dual-core program, relies on heavily. If you want to upgrade your CPU, we recommend Intel Haswell or above, because AMD doesn't have a CPU that can match Intel's speeds. (See our benchmark: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?...Fa1E#gid=0)

If you're running Wind Waker at the lowest settings and not getting fullspeed, then you don't have a GPU bottleneck, but a CPU bottleneck. (also because the R9 280X is more than enough to run at native resolution)
And the 8350 isn't much of a step up in terms of single-core speeds.

Your biggest issue, however, is the fact that you're running a 32-bit version of Windows. 32-bit support was dropped in the dev builds because it was holding back development (read here why: https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2014/05/19/obituary-32bit/) If you reinstalled Windows using your key as 64-bit, you would see a speed boost just from that. On top of that speed boost, you can use the latest dev builds which are magnitudes faster than 4.0.2 that you're currently using
(06-07-2015, 10:15 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]For Dolphin, we recommend users to stay away from AMD because their CPUs do not have good single-core speeds, which since Dolphin is a dual-core program, relies on heavily. If you want to upgrade your CPU, we recommend Intel Haswell or above, because AMD doesn't have a CPU that can match Intel's speeds. (See our benchmark: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?...Fa1E#gid=0)

If you're running Wind Waker at the lowest settings and not getting fullspeed, then you don't have a GPU bottleneck, but a CPU bottleneck. (also because the R9 280X is more than enough to run at native resolution)
And the 8350 isn't much of a step up in terms of single-core speeds.

Your biggest issue, however, is the fact that you're running a 32-bit version of Windows. 32-bit support was dropped in the dev builds because it was holding back development (read here why: https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2014/05/19/obituary-32bit/) If you reinstalled Windows using your key as 64-bit, you would see a speed boost just from that. On top of that speed boost, you can use the latest dev builds which are magnitudes faster than 4.0.2 that you're currently using

Um I am running a 64bit version of windows? I'll try one of the dev builds.

I think my issue might stem from one of the dsp settings since windwaker for some reason switches it automatically to LLe
your profile says you're using "windows x86" which is in fact the 32 bit version. it's switching to DSP LLE because that's what is optimal (or required, i can't remember) for the game. you have a CPU bottleneck and/or are using a slower build. DSP LLE wouldn't give you a slowdown
Pages: 1 2