Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Pentium G2358 Performance
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello,

I was wondering how the Pentium G2358 fares on Dolphin. I've read some really mixed thoughts about this processor; some people have told me it's not really great for performance on the computer at all and others have told me it works really well on Dolphin. How well can it work?
Can it run, say, SMG2 at 60 FPS? I'm looking mostly for a CPU that can run all (most) games at a consistent 60 FPS or a little lower. I don't really mind if Visual Settings are maxed out. 

Additionally, what GPU would be a good pair to this CPU for under 150$?

Any help would be appreciated, 

Thanks in advance. 
It's a great CPU for Dolphin (in fact one of the best) and it's pretty reasonable for other things like PC gaming too, giving comparable or better performance than an i3 of twice the price.
(04-22-2015, 12:03 AM)tudorm Wrote: [ -> ]Additionally, what GPU would be a good pair to this CPU for under 150$?

Cheapest option: Non-reference R9 270. Overclock that puppy to 1150/1500 without increasing the voltage and you have a cool, quiet, and fairly powerful GPU that can run every Dolphin title at up to 8xIR.
(04-22-2015, 12:25 AM)kirbypuff Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-22-2015, 12:03 AM)tudorm Wrote: [ -> ]Additionally, what GPU would be a good pair to this CPU for under 150$?

Cheapest option: Non-reference R9 270. Overclock that puppy to 1150/1500 without increasing the voltage and you have a cool, quiet, and fairly powerful GPU that can run every Dolphin title at up to 8xIR.
Could you possibly link the price of that specific GPU? Also, if that GPU is too expensive for me, would the R7 250X be a reasonable alternative?
(04-22-2015, 12:13 AM)AnyOldName3 Wrote: [ -> ]It's a great CPU for Dolphin (in fact one of the best) and it's pretty reasonable for other things like PC gaming too, giving comparable or better performance than an i3 of twice the price.
Thanks for the reply. 

I've heard the G3258 doesn't really perform well (especially on Dolphin) unless OC'd to around 4.4 ghz, and is pretty "meh" at the stock speed of 3.2 ghz (I may be wrong, please correct me). 
Since the computer I'm building is going to be serving me for quite some time (I've just made enough money after a year to fund it) I'm looking heavily into future-proofing it (somewhat) and keeping it alive as long as possible. Wouldn't constantly OCing it, say, daily, to play Dolphin sessions shorten its longevity? In this case, would it be worth spending more money on an i3 or an i5?
(04-22-2015, 01:04 PM)NKF98 Wrote: [ -> ]Hooray for Google!

Thanks for the link haha, my Google-Fu has been really bad as of late.
Most things are rather "meh" @3.2. I'm not sure that the G2358 is future-proof (depending on how you define it), if you've got money in your pocket then go for an i5-4690k. If not, the Pentium is an excellent choice once OC'd
In terms of it breaking sooner from an overclock, you'll maybe reduce its life from 20-25 years to 15-20, or if you do something dumb, maybe 10-15. By that time, it'd be useless anyway compared to newer models, and so would anything else.
(04-22-2015, 09:25 PM)AnyOldName3 Wrote: [ -> ]In terms of it breaking sooner from an overclock, you'll maybe reduce its life from 20-25 years to 15-20, or if you do something dumb, maybe 10-15. By that time, it'd be useless anyway compared to newer models, and so would anything else.

Should I look into getting an i3-4160 over the Pentium? Would it be more reliable since it can't OC? Is an overclocked g3258 significantly better than a locked i3-4160? 
Pages: 1 2