Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: 4.0-5971 massive slowdown in SSX3
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Interstellar Overdrive

Hi everyone!

First of all: Really great piece of software! Thanks for all the hard work.

Onto the "problem" (not really a problem just something to keep track of):

In 5964: internal res. automatic, AF 16, per pixel lighting, AA 8x - steady 60fps

In 5971: same settings... in menus - 60fps, in-game - drop to 30 fps or less, sound gets slow

Game gets unplayable.

Workaround: Lower AA to 4x or 2x

So this commit seems to increase the GPU load drastically, at least in SSX3. I tried a couple of builds after 5971. They all suffer from the same behaviour (also the most recent one - 6008 as of this writing).

I only play SSX3 atm. No idea if other games are affected or if this is known to the developers or even intended behaviour.

If not: I hope this helps.

Keep up the good work!

My rig: i5 3570k, GTX 560, 8 gig RAM, SSD
I can't reproduce any issue in SSX Tricky. These are variable framerate games, so it could be due to them wanting to run at 30 fps at Native CPU clock.

Interstellar Overdrive

Thanks for checking. I appreciate it.
But SSX Tricky is not SSX3. Also: Your GPU (GTX760) is much stronger than mine (GTX560).
So you may not notice the problem at all. I wouln't notice it at 4x AA either. I just noticed it, because I was not able to run SSX3 at 8xAA anymore (which is not at all a problem for me).
But lost emulation speed within one commit is something I decided to report since it may have bigger impact on other games.  

I checked the dev thread for commit 5971 -"Block gpu thread"- and they were also talking about slowdowns but thought they had solved it.

Edit: Interesting - between 6008 and 6025 the behaviour has changed a bit:
Now I still have the slowdowns in 8x AA but while I had 4fps to 30fps in 6008, now I get 20 fps to 50fps in 6025 (I always check the same save).