Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: HLE vs LLE
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Is HLE comparable now in sound quality to replace LLE for the best sound and performance ratio. I see most people recommend HLE for better performance but what about sound quality is there big difference between the two now in sound quality with the latest builds, would love to get some feedback on this thank you.
For most games, HLE is essentially on-par with LLE. You'd have to have an incredibly keen ear to notice anything in many titles. Over the last few years, several of the developers have improved HLE audio considerably with efforts such as New AX-HLE, synchronous audio, and the DTK rewrite.

If you're interested in getting a quick overview of just how far HLE audio emulation has come over the last few years, I highly recommend reading this article.

For general use, you can definitely get away with using HLE audio. You can switch to LLE if your processor has the power to push it, although if you find that performance is better with HLE, there probably isn't any real incentive to switch.
Unless you're playing a Zelda ucode game or a game that has been noted to have issues with HLE (like the Rogue Squadron series), HLE will almost always be just as good.
Just as a technical note: "just as good" should be read as binary identical Big Grin
Well I had issues with SMG2 so I'd say no not as good. That is a major game. I don't really care about processor power much.
SMG2 is a zelda ucode game, per the link above.
(04-04-2015, 03:03 AM)Khronikos Wrote: [ -> ]Well I had issues with SMG2 so I'd say no not as good. That is a major game. I don't really care about processor power much.

That's a Zelda ucode game (it appears in the list JosJuice linked). As a general rule I use LLE audio for almost everything (The Last Story is the biggest exception). Most games I play are Zelda ucode games, anyway.
With the HLE rewrite SMG1/2 are as good as with LLE. However that branch hasn't been touched in a few months sadly and the master build it's based on is outdated. Considering there are very few issues reported that remain with no additional issues being reported atm; no regressions or stability issues and it seems around 99% completed it probably won't be too much longer for that to be finished up and merged I'd think.. When it's finally merged to master HLE should be almost on par with LLE and there would be little to no reason to use LLE anymore.

You can use one of those builds however you give up the awesomeness of the AX rewrite since those builds were based on old AX audio from what I've read. It's either decent AX audio or decent audio for Zelda Ucode games for the time being. If you plan on using one of those builds please do report any issues you encounter to help devs out.

A bit off topic but I find this odd.. Normally rewriting Zelda Ucode and improvements to Zelda Ucode audio would be fairly big news. Yet the dev thread barely received attention and ended up buried. I also find it odd how no one in this topic mentioned the more recent wip Zelda Ucode rewrite. More testing and feedback is needed, I've been testing occasionally however I haven't ran into any other issues than what's been reported so far.

https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-te...-zelda-hle
(04-04-2015, 07:35 AM)Xtreme2damax Wrote: [ -> ]You can use one of those builds however you give up the awesomeness of the AX rewrite since those builds were based on old AX audio from what I've read.
I thought they were based on Dolphin versions from December 2014, which do have the new AX HLE? Anyway, yes, the new Zelda µcode HLE fixes a lot of things, but it still has problems with some games as seen here: https://code.google.com/p/dolphin-emu/is...=2&q=NZHLE
It would be awesome to see a fully functional new Zelda HLE merged, but more work is needed first.
^ I read where someone posted the Zelda Ucode builds are using old AX-HLE. That person could've been wrong. Yeah it does have some issues still although it's a lot better than current master and games such as ZTP, SMG1/2, ZWW are all working fine.
Pages: 1 2