Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: AMD or Intel processor?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hello, i'm looking for advice on processor performance. I'm planning on buying a new computer soon, with these specs.

AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor

G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory

EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB SuperSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card

Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard

Windows 7 x64 os

What i want to know is will an AMD processor with 4.0GHz (overclocked to about 5.0 if necessary) run games like Xenoblade and Super mario galaxy at full, or near full quality.
I'm asking because i heard Intel processors work better with Dolphin (or game emulators in general) than AMD processors, and i want to know if my planed set up will still run well anyway.
Does anyone know for sure, because the Intel processors cost much more, and i don't want to spend more than necessary if i can help it.

Thank you.
What's your budget?

Intel Processing units run Dolphin (and emulators in general) significantly better than AMD. However, I have recently heard that AMD is getting better performance with Dolphin as of recent updates, I don't run one so someone else would need to verify.
A speedup that helped modern AMD CPUs would also help modern Intel CPUs by about the same amount. The recent thing discussed in the latest progress report was just a speedup for older AMD chips without SSE3.

Either way, in Dolphin, an Intel CPU will completely wipe the floor with an equivalently-priced AMD one because Intel's spent the last few years focussing on the kind of performance Dolphin likes, while AMD haven't.
(04-02-2015, 05:52 AM)NKF98 Wrote: [ -> ]What's your budget?

Intel Processing units run Dolphin (and emulators in general) significantly better than AMD. However, I have recently heard that AMD is getting better performance with Dolphin as of recent updates, I don't run one so someone else would need to verify.

Just under a thousand dollars, at the most. The 4.0GHz AMD processor is about 150$ well the Intel one is over 300$. I didn't list all the parts i'm going to buy, but i'm already close to a thousand as is.
Here's a build with the same GPU, just in an Intel system ($904 before a $10 rebate): http://pcpartpicker.com/p/yNn4hM
(04-02-2015, 05:04 AM)uac9000 Wrote: [ -> ]What i want to know is will an AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor (overclocked to about 5.0 if necessary) going to run the medium and more demanding titles at full, or near full speed?
I want to know if my planned setup will still run well, because Intel processors cost much more, and I don't want to spend more than necessary if i can help it.

Ask Tino:
https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-un...om-version
He has the same CPU model (the FX-8350).

or post in the Random thread:
https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-random
There's a Dolphin user who is very happy with the performance of his AMD "Piledriver" APU.

(04-02-2015, 05:04 AM)uac9000 Wrote: [ -> ]EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB SuperSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card

Get the Radeon R9 285 2GB instead of the GeForce GTX 960 2GB (cheaper + much better performance in Dolphin)
Intel CPUs in this price range are so much faster than AMD CPUs for both emulators and PC gaming that there is little reason to even consider buying an AMD cpu. Even if you're on a tight budget.
(04-02-2015, 06:47 AM)AnyOldName3 Wrote: [ -> ]The recent thing discussed in the latest progress report was just a speedup for older AMD chips without SSE3.

That's SSSE3 (also known as SSE 3.5).
SSE3 *is* supported.
I thought it looked too short.
I have a friend who is running an(my) fx 8350 using a dev build (4.0-5954) and he plays monster hunters tri, SSB, xenoblade and fire emblem and he says he runs all those games at full speed 30/60 fps. If you want I can go over to his house and actually test xenoblade myself and I do have super mario galaxy so I could test that as well. If there are any other games let me know if I have them I will test them.
Pages: 1 2 3