Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: AMD or Intel processor?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(04-03-2015, 01:16 AM)darkberry Wrote: [ -> ]I have a friend who is running an(my) fx 8350 using a dev build (4.0-5954) and he plays monster hunters tri, SSB, xenoblade and fire emblem and he says he runs all those games at full speed 30/60 fps. If you want I can go over to his house and actually test xenoblade myself and I do have super mario galaxy so I could test that as well. If there are any other games let me know if I have them  I will test them.

Oh it's ok don't trouble yourself with all that, i just want to know if a 4.0GHz AMD chip (since i hear emulators are cpu intensive) will give me performance as good as an Intel chip, and for high end gaming in general.
The performance of amd in dolphin has come a long way when I got the fx 8350 when it first came out a lot of the games where pretty much almost unplayable but now my friend says he runs everything at full speeds. With a 960 you shouldn't see any performance issues when using the fx 8350, there are some games that just don't like amd cpu's but it's becoming increasingly hard to find those types of games unless you start playing older titles.
(04-03-2015, 01:56 AM)uac9000 Wrote: [ -> ]Oh it's ok don't trouble yourself with all that, i just want to know if a 4.0GHz AMD chip (since i hear emulators are cpu intensive) will give me performance as good as an Intel chip, and for high end gaming in general.

No it won't. Any recent intel chip will be about 50% faster than any amd chip, both at the same clockspeed. This is also true for an intel quad core vs amd 8-core, because Dolphin uses only 2-3 main threads, and with your system processes, the sweet spot is a quad core, adding more cores does nothing.

Most games might be playble on amd cpus now, but they will run better on an intel cpu.
I understand now. I play all kinds of games from old dos titles to high end games like metro last light, and now i'm getting into emulation so i need a pc that can run all of that.
Thanks for all your help everyone. Looks like i'm getting an Intel chip...(sigh) being a gamer is too bloody expensive sometimes.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dFmzRB

That is about the most balanced build in terms of performance/quality components I can build as of the time of typing.
mimimi Wrote:Any recent intel chip will be about 50% faster than any amd chip, both at the same clockspeed.

Actually it's about 80-90%. They are nearly twice as fast.

@uac9000

It doesn't have to be expensive. There are Intel cpu models that are just as cheap as AMDs offerings and still substantially faster for everything that you'll be using them for.
NaturalViolence
Your next post will be.... OVER 9000!!!

Edit: I'm sorry I had to.
My actual post count is 11,936 as of this post since the forum software doesn't count posts made in delfino plaza.
Apologies for off topic, but where's that stat? I can't find mine.
It doesn't exist.  You'll have to use......math! [scary music goes here] 

Click on your username -> view all posts -> multiply the number of pages in the query - 1 by the number of posts per page then add the number of posts on the last page to that.

Spoiler:
Pages: 1 2 3