Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Rogue Leader Random FPS drops?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have a 4790k with a GTX 980m trying to run Star Wars Rogue Squadron 2 at at least 3x IR with any amount of AA. Running the game at max settings using the latest Dolphin Dev build runs at 60 FPS... mostly. Most of the time it's 60 FPS but in short intervals it suddenly drops down to 45-55 fps. Even when using 1x IR with no AA 16:9 turned off I get the same results.. Though it does seem to happen slightly less frequently, either that or it's just my imagination. I'm using Han's HD texture pack for this. The fps drops usually when I shoot down a Tie Fighter, a Tower or an explosion appears on the first mission but even when I'm just flying around not shooting at anything just admiring the beautiful new skybox I still get that drop to 45 ruining everything. I know Dolphin is definitely not a perfect emulator.. but I saw in this video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=90&v=LoAyqnE2oKs, the game is running perfectly fine with zero stuttering whatsoever! And my specs are arguably better than what the person is using in this video. Are there some settings in particular I need to turn on/off?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Almost forgot to mention the Dolphin installation files are on my SSD and my game's ISO is on my HDD. Does this effect performance in any way?
*2.2GhZ*

FPS drops when things happen and stuff. And other stuff.

But really, your clock speed is not...impressive. You won't be able to run every game at full 60 FPS. Furthermore, besides your clock speed, you are running OSX which does not run Dolphin well, wheras the guy in the video most likely ran it on Windows or an Ubuntu release. It would probably be faster for you to run Dolphin via bootcamp
(03-29-2015, 10:00 AM)NKF98 Wrote: [ -> ]*2.2GhZ*

FPS drops when things happen and stuff. And other stuff.

But really, your clock speed is not...impressive. You won't be able to run every game at full 60 FPS. Furthermore, besides your clock speed, you are running OSX which does not run Dolphin well, wheras the guy in the video most likely ran it on Windows or an Ubuntu release. It would probably be faster for you to run Dolphin via bootcamp

Oops... I need to update my account info.. I'm not using that computer anymore dude.
I'm curious about this too. I've tried both OpenGL & Direct3D. Adjusted just about every setting there is, and I can't get it to run much better
(03-29-2015, 10:51 AM)envisaged0ne Wrote: [ -> ]I'm curious about this too.  I've tried both OpenGL & Direct3D.  Adjusted just about every setting there is, and I can't get it to run much better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K6FcspnJtk

In this video, this guy is getting what I'm sure is the exact same kind of lag I'm talking about, the stuttering occurs the exact same time mine does. In the video he says it's caused by loading the HD Textures.. so I guess we have to wait for them to fix that. In the meantime, is there any way to play the game with it's original textures so I'm not fighting the invisible Death Star? Or any other texture pack without this lag? Sad

Please reply. I can't be the only one with this issue...
It's the texture pack, disable it. Or the way dolphin uses texture packs which is not efficient, there is a workaround in the works that uses a lot of ram.
How do you disable the texture pack?
(03-29-2015, 09:41 PM)envisaged0ne Wrote: [ -> ]How do you disable the texture pack?
Uncheck this checkbox: Graphics config > Advanced > Utility > Load Custom Textures
(03-29-2015, 09:41 PM)envisaged0ne Wrote: [ -> ]How do you disable the texture pack?

The opposite way of the one you used to enable it? Disable load custom textures in advance settings.
Oh. For me it's always been unchecked.  But I still experience the same problem  Undecided
Pages: 1 2