Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: 2 issues that I would like to discuss
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
First issue: the separate window that pops up once you launch a game, it changes in size randomly when I launch a new game. I want to know why this is, because it makes my OCD flare up like crazy seeing it have random black bars on top from being out of proportion to the rendered framebuffer. I resize the window so the rendered image goes border to border, and then when I come back at a later time and relaunch the game, the window is at some random dis-proportioned sized. Very annoying. Could we possibly make a change to the master build so that when you launch a game and use the separate window, the window automatically scales to the proper size with no excess borders on any side?

Second issue is: anisotropic filtering setting from the Nvidia Control Panel does not stick with OpenGL, only D3D. If I set it to completely turn off AF for Dolphin.exe, and then I open the graphics menu in Dolphin and set it to anything else, it will take the setting from Dolphin. When I switch to D3D, no matter what I set it to in the config menu it doesn't change because it's using the Control Panel setting instead. Why is this? I'm not really worried about this getting fixed more so I want to know why this random program is completely ignoring my driver level setting. This irks me so hard because there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to why, and that really bothers the IT guy in me. I play plenty of OGL based games that adhere to my driver setting, so I don't think it's just a generic OGL issue.
(02-17-2015, 08:19 AM)DaRkL3AD3R Wrote: [ -> ]First issue: the separate window that pops up once you launch a game, it changes in size randomly when I launch a new game. I want to know why this is, because it makes my OCD flare up like crazy seeing it have random black bars on top from being out of proportion to the rendered framebuffer. I resize the window so the rendered image goes border to border, and then when I come back at a later time and relaunch the game, the window is at some random dis-proportioned sized. Very annoying. Could we possibly make a change to the master build so that when you launch a game and use the separate window, the window automatically scales to the proper size with no excess borders on any side?

Second issue is: anisotropic filtering setting from the Nvidia Control Panel does not stick with OpenGL, only D3D. If I set it to completely turn off AF for Dolphin.exe, and then I open the graphics menu in Dolphin and set it to anything else, it will take the setting from Dolphin. When I switch to D3D, no matter what I set it to in the config menu it doesn't change because it's using the Control Panel setting instead. Why is this? I'm not really worried about this getting fixed more so I want to know why this random program is completely ignoring my driver level setting. This irks me so hard because there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to why, and that really bothers the IT guy in me. I play plenty of OGL based games that adhere to my driver setting, so I don't think it's just a generic OGL issue.
Second issue is not a real issue.  Don't use the control panel as your damn graphics options menu.  The setting exists in the program itself,  and is meant to be used that way.  What you are doing is not meant as anything more than a driver hack,  and the devs will NEVER fix control panel crap.  Just use the in application setting and move on.  First issue, is not a real issue,  you just need to adjust your window size settings in the options,  or use full screen.  
It's not an issue in that I can deal with it, it is an issue for the sake of consistency with driver integration. Why is it ignoring global driver level settings, is what is bothering me. You can sit there and speak for developers all you want, but your response is meaningless in the discussion of why it is doing what it is doing.

And yes, the other issue IS an issue, the window shouldn't constantly be changing to random sizes just because. This is another consistency fail that there is no reason not to figure it out and at least have another QOL issue ticked off the list. Any inconsistency in code is a bad thing. If there is a valid reason why the window size would randomly just go WOOP WOOP and change size, then fine I will accept that. But totally random changing of size is an issue.
Whoa, calm down. About your first issue, try enabling "Auto adjust Window Size", it should give you a correct window size, without black bars. About settings override, I don't know what's going on but I know Dolphin may fail to render depending of what you override at your GPU's Control Panel, so, Dolphin probably have code to explicitly bypass driver overrides. No clue about why it works with DX11, though...
It's changing size because the game itself feels like it in my experience. Set Dolphin to whatever IR you want, then set what Jhonn said, and you'll be good to go.

I guess in widescreen games, since the IR isn't different, you'll have black bars on top and bottom still. I don't think we can detect when GameCube games are in widescreen yet.
I noticed something odd about window size in the dev builds, but I don't know if it's related. When I Alt+Enter out of full screen on 4.0.2, the window that appears remains at my selected resolution (1280x960), but the dev build creates something more like a 640x480 window, and I can't stretch it to change its size.